full range ht setup help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I want to create a home theater setup using full range drivers. I was thinking of using the FE127E drivers. Now I just need a box, something small. I would be creating 5 of these. Are the recommended standard bass reflex boxes any good? Any other boxes that would be good for this? It does not have to be fostex drivers but it does have to be efficient and the driver has to be shielded. Any ideas are appriciated.
Thanks,

John

Tangband full range drivers are good candidates, eventhough the efficient may not be very good, range from 87dB to 90dB. use 2 in parallel if you need efficiency.

typical models to consider depending on budget:

871s

all of them are good to very good, fair prices as well.

gni said:
I would check out this project at Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/sc51/index.cfm

It seems to be close to what you are looking for. Not full range
drivers though.

Yep, I already checked that project out. They are cool looking speakers but because of the crossover and all the parts the price tag is about $500 dollars not including the enclosures. A little high for right now.
Thanks,
John

ttan98 said:
Tangband full range drivers are good candidates, eventhough the efficient may not be very good, range from 87dB to 90dB. use 2 in parallel if you need efficiency.

typical models to consider depending on budget:

871s

all of them are good to very good, fair prices as well.

Yes, I was looking at those too. The effecienty is not the greatest but its a HT receiver so it should not be a problem. Does Tangbang have recommended enclosures for their speakers?
Thanks
John

I don't think you will be happy with the 871s IMO, for larger rooms they have to be pushed too hard to fill the space...

You may be better off with something like the Aura NS3. With its 10mm Peak to Peak X-max your looking at a lot of head room even with the decreased sensitivity. Pair it with a helper tweeter (cheap 5-10 bucks each) paralleled with cap on the positive lead would be a better choice...

Either that, or the Hivi 3 inch http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Which doesn't need a helper tweeter and replaced the 871 as the author's favorite 3 inch. Cheaper too...

Fast1one said:
I don't think you will be happy with the 871s IMO, for larger rooms they have to be pushed too hard to fill the space...

You may be better off with something like the Aura NS3. With its 10mm Peak to Peak X-max your looking at a lot of head room even with the decreased sensitivity. Pair it with a helper tweeter (cheap 5-10 bucks each) paralleled with cap on the positive lead would be a better choice...

Either that, or the Hivi 3 inch http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Which doesn't need a helper tweeter and replaced the 871 as the author's favorite 3 inch. Cheaper too...

Hivi 3 inch, is not very efficient, about 82dB, it is suppose to be better than 871.

82dB is too low for me, need bigger amp to drive.

ttan98 said:
Just a thought,

use 2*1337 as front speaker, 1*1320 as centre spk, 2*831 as rear. total price about $179, drivers only, plus a good subwoofer, they will rock, and gives you good sound as well.

FE127 is very good for music, home theatre I don't know.

831 I mean 871. overall package is not cheap after you add in cabinet price, total price may exceed $300.

ttan98 said:

Hivi 3 inch, is not very efficient, about 82dB, it is suppose to be better than 871.

82dB is too low for me, need bigger amp to drive.
Yeah I kinda figured...I have another thought though...not really sure what his budget is, but I'm going for cheap as possible :D

How about this http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=55-1870&catalog_name=MCMProducts

Only a problem with it is a nasty peak starting at 10k, so it would need some kind of crossover with a helper tweeter to fill in that range.

One thing about going full range is that there is nothing wrong with going with a helper tweeter above 10k or so, since the main advantage of going full range is getting rid of the crossovers in the vocal range ;) Though I am sure you knew that...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
The Fostex 127e is better on music but can sound fatiguing using a ss receiver. TBs are more forgiving on the amp. Just my opinion.

Fostex 127e is very good driver. TB Bamboo is less alive sounding but has fuller sound without a subwoofer. Works better with cheaper ss amps.

The Fostex will work fine in HT but will show up any deficiencies of the typical ss HT receiver running at very low power (near and in the notch distortion region). They sound great with the 5W SE amps i use for HT (and for hifi for that matter). I have a 4.5 liter box for the FE127 that i'll be firing up beta3 of late this week.

A FR better suited to a SS HT receiver is the CSS FR125SR. I have a 4.5 liter box for these too.

dave

Thanks for all the responces. Now I have to look throught all the info and decide. The funny thing about the MCM aluminum drivers that were mentioned, is they are what is used in the Straight 8's speakers I built a long time ago as a kit from the Bottlehead company. I love the sound of those speakers, but they are a line array. I think if I could keep the pricetag for this project around $300 not including wood, that would be good. Thanks for all the help.

John

I support the HiVi B3N/S driver based loudspeakers as well; they're cheap, easy to build (Zaph's sealed enclosure or the mini TL that I built, for example) and although you need some power (more than Sonic T's and the like can provide) they can fill an average HT room pretty okay.

I have both the B3S and the W3-871s. They're both great little drivers; I prefer the 871 but the B3s is very good. Without a filter the 871s is smoother. Though for movies can't go wrong with either one, especially if you plan on getting/making a sub.

Another good choice would be the Tang Band W4-1052s, assuming your receiver can handle a 4 ohm load. They are 4 inchers, reach to about 17khz and have punchy bass. I actually tried them in a box originally built for the B3S and though the sealed box is probably way too small for this driver it still sounded very good. Quite a bit more impact than the 3 inchers but it should have a bigger cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.