FE127 in MLTL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2007, 03:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FE127 in MLTL

Hello,

I see that in this document for the FE127 MLTL http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1139772600 that it says you can use standard shelving material to build this. Does this included those pine laminated shelving unit pieces you find at Home Depot or Rona?

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2007, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anybody know those pine boards I am talking about?
Old 14th November 2007, 09:26 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Considering the driver's modest output, I don't see why not.

GM
Old 14th November 2007, 09:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM,

Thats what I was looking for, somebody with more experience than me to say yes.

With a bigger driver, will the pine sheets not be rigid enough to keep from vibrating? Could this be midigated by bracing or sandwitching something more rigid to it, or would it just be better to go to thicker birch plywood then?
Old 14th November 2007, 10:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

I've used the 2 - 3 ft wide panels x 4 ft with an internal 'skin' of 1/4" no-void grade plywood and the same bracing scheme for dual 15" woofers as I would with 3/4" no-void grade plywood with no obvious vibration problems, i.e. can balance a ~square shoulder coin on end on its top and 'pound' away at ~live SPLs. The main thing is to use a solvent based, hard setting adhesive such as used in building construction.

Some folks just couldn't get enough of the butcher block 'look' back in the '70s.

GM
Old 14th November 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again.

Its not that I am cheap, but I have no access to a table saw and good tools like that to build boxes with full sheets of birch ply. These shelving things seem like a good idea for a box. It looks like from some that you could even just fasten them together and you would have to do barely any cuts to achieve a BIB or an MLTL. I will have to see if dad has an extra circular saw kicking around when I go home next weekend to do some small straight cuts with.
Old 15th November 2007, 12:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You bet!

Well, I am when I figure I can make it work well enough, so I've done a number of designs for folks using stock shelving boards, including the 127E IIRC. Indeed, my early tower designs (aka MLTL) I built back in the late '60s used a bunch of 1" x 12" x 48"cheap stock walnut paper veneered PB shelving boards a co-worker had laying around from a stillborn project. Back then, we often used whatever we could find 'on the cheap' that didn't audibly rattle/squeak. Round and square concrete or terracotta drain pipe was popular too, often costing us only the manpower to take it away from a construction site's scrap heap. Ditto left over concrete forming tubes (aka Sonotube), wood, wire, etc..

GM
Old 19th April 2008, 04:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi
Did you build these MLTLs?
Old 19th April 2008, 05:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have built them and there's a thread I've tried to put all the
information in and hope that people will add to it.

GM MLTL fine tuning

As to the pine board butcher block stuff, I think it works well
in sizes larger than the MLTL as well. I've made the BIB with FE127e with that product and am happy with the results. There again, very minimal cutting on the glue up stock and the front/internal divider and back were cut from from some particle board shelving.

Those long cuts need a table saw.

My original GM MLTLs were made entirely from 2 ft particle board shelving and they are still in use. They have been torn down and rebuilt to try various tweaks over time: moving port position, adding removing suprabaffle etc.

This is perfect for getting some experience and not worrying too much about furniture. Particle board properties are close to ideal IMOH.
Old 19th April 2008, 07:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Lon
Did you build the DIYAudio Reference MLTL monopoles:
Click the image to open in full size.
or the Zilla MLTLs?
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!