Sammi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

NEw here to this forum. I have been studying single-driver speakers for a while and several designs have captured my attention like the Frugal Horn, Zigmahornet and the Harvey.

I ran across some interesting 4" and 8" drivers, where else, but on Ebay. I am expreienced enough to know I can't just randomly drop them in a cabinet, but I am inexperienced enough to knw how to calculate how big a cabinet I need to make to make a voight pipe, MLTL or TQWT work.

Here are the specs for the 8" driver:

Sammi Sound Technology Corp ME-0850 (B4F5).
8 ohm
50 Watts RMS (100 Watts program power)
25 ounce magnet (1.5 pounds) 2" voice coil.
Steel frame with butyl rubber surround. Standard mounting holes.

Thiele & Small parameters:
Fs=67.81,
Re=5.1085 ohms,
Qes=0.3581,
Qms = 7.4214,
Qts = 0.3416,
Le = 0.3960mH.

Thanks, I look forward to one day contributing meaningfully to this.

thats a treated cloth surround on the 8"- I made that quick parameter measurement but have not measured one since running it hard. Sammi 8 should work with a "helper" tweeter in small bass relex or a MLTL of modest size - I mounted one in a fake Zu Druid (~1.3 cubic foot pipe) and it played pretty well with a baffle step filter.

ask the guys here who have MJK's sheets handy go cook up a couple of MLTL for you -- you might buy one unit and see how you like it.. IIRC, it simed ok in the stock 206E MLT example which starts MJK's sheet and that was almost twice the volume of a Zu Druid - bigger means more lows but also more excursion in the upper bass area

It sims ok in Cyburgs Viech back loaded horn and here's how it plays vs my Heresy in-room with the Sammi 8 In a BK20 (~same as old Fostex BK201 horn) -- the Heresy is elevated. That little Sammi if nothing else is pretty loud and I've pushed it very loud in a Karlson klam - -its a little boxy but good for low $ and tougher than B20 -- -B20 might be prettier sounding

Heresy elevated 16" vs Bk20 w. Sammi 8 helped by ST324 slot-load tweeter and 1.1uF highpass
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5944/bk20samvsheresyir1it3.gif
Heresy and BK20

video of Sammi 8 in a Karlson 8 (not klam) knockoff - -keep your pc sound down as the level is high and distorted - theres high and low pressure areas - partly due to vent arrangement

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08pressurek8lc4.flv

video of Sammi 8 in a klam-projector - I didnt' have enough gain to push it hard - with more juice it was pretty good 150 feet away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfE7hjQ40o

So for 15 bucks the driver is a good place to experiment ?

I pulled down the spreadsheet off of the http://melhuish.org/audio/software.html website, so I can plug and chug that to make either a plain Voigt Pipe or a bent one like the one shown in the spreadsheet. Thanks for the tip there.

As far as sound goes, it likely will not beat a Lowther, but at 1/10 the price, I largely don't care. I am thinking for HT or for using it with a 3.5W 6A5 SET amp as nighttime jazz to sleep to in my beadroom (15x20).

Do you think it needs a tweeter? They have cone tweets for $4. Not that price is the object, I could buy a Fostex driver and tweet as well. I just like the idea of using unconventional (and admittedly inexpensive) parts.

Thanks

but its usable for reflex/mltl, pipehorn - maybe ob - I'm not near a simulator - for use withiout tweeter I might pick B20. Sammi's stiff suspension has merit on playing sharp transients which would bottom out the other driver faster -its up to $13.60 each now from original price of $11.60

here's a Druid size pipe prediction without consideration of baffle step - the 2nd Z peak would be higher than the first if thats a concern but that's not an atypical condition
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I will be using them single in a Voight Pipe

Either a straight pipe or one of the cranked/folded versions will work. Mostly looking for something really efficient to drive with my SET. So I will look at making something a sheet of baltic birch high, 7-degree angle, and wide enough to clear the driver on the baffle. If the top end extension is not enough, maybe I'll cross over a tweeter with a good cap to make up what I am missing. I'll post pics when I get going.

Same guys are selling 4" drivers from the US. Anyone used them?

Thanks!

Robert,
Mannheim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.