Nirvana super 8 and cast super 8 how do they compare to 206E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Freddi, as with all audio equipment it boils down to personal preference. I used to have Fostex FE 206 ESR's on my Back Loaded Horns, until I managed to screw them up by tinkering with them. I replaced them with AN Super 8 Cast Frames, which I find to be more musical and involving than the Fostex, which were a bit more analytical (dryer)
In my system they present a wide/deep soundstage and good placement of the instruments. Since I still have some way to go before they are fully broken in, I can't tell you much more than the fact that they sound very good, much more so than they have the right to do for their modest price. Construction, finishing, presentation and feel are very good. Hope this helps.

Differences aside, all I can say about my AN S/8 Cast's is that I find them enjoyable and satisfying. In my BLHs I had to play around w/positioning until I found what worked best for me. About 9 feet apart, 2 feet from the wall behind, toed in pointing straight towards the seating position which is 9 ft. equidistant to each speaker. My horns are large and produce substantial sound w/just 2 watts of SET tubes bliss.
If I was using them in a ported or sealed smaller box, I would probably have them closer together. It is always amazing how the character of the speaker will change w/positioning. In the end this is about enjoying the music and being transported to the performance or whatever else ticks your clock. Happy Listening. :)

Hard to believe that 5 years have passed since I wrote the above. Since then (over a year ago) I have added the Bybee Purifier bullets right before each AN Super 8 Cast Frame, which cost me three times the price of the drivers.

Since I had a 30 day trial period for a full refund, I made sure to test listen the AN's with and without the BP bullets, to make sure that these were not snake oil. There is definitely a quantifiable improvement in the presentation, especially digging deeper into the details and tightening the image focus. It truly brought to light what the AN Super 8 Cast Frames are capable of delivering given the right electrical input.

A worthy (albeit expensive) improvement that I kept for good. FYI stereo signals provided by a Korneff SEi integrated SET amp w/45 type tubes at a whooping 1.5 watts per channel. They are spooky enough w/vinyl but get even spookier if you play true hi-rez files (recorded at 96/24 or 192/24) using a DAC that can deal w/these.

Last edited:
I am happy that the FE206EN's grew on you over the years, as five years ago you indicated "I have the stamped frame Nirvana Super 8 and like it vs FE206EN and W8-1772".

The same thing happen to me when I replaced the original FE206 ESR's I had in my BLH's with the AN Super 8 CAST FRAMES. They grew on me, and when I added the Baybee Purifiers they went to an even higher level.

Now a days I am happy to listen to all the music I can get my hands on. I read somewhere that "music lovers listen to their music...audiophiles listen to their equipment." ;)

I don't think either driver went through significant character change during a break-in period but lately the Nirvana has stiffened to the point that fs is about a half-octave higher than a few years ago. (is it the surround damping goo? surround? - spider?) I like the Fostex for its cheerful midrange clarity. AN super 8 extends a bit higher.

here's what a mic saw for AN super 8 stamped frame vs FE206EN

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's an old thread on the innards of a purifier
http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=8497.msg1640961#msg1640961

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.