Great Veneer Idea - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2007, 01:33 AM   #1
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Great Veneer Idea

I wasn't certain where to put this, but since I am spending my time here, so be it.

I like to play with veneer, and experiment with it. Some veneers work quite well with speakers, and some just don't. For instance a beautiful mahogany crotch veneer looks wonderful on a door, or table top, but is horrible on an enclosure. Most people like to cover a cabinet with a single piece, but I prefer bookmatching, so either way works fine.

However, I have been experimenting with an interesting type of veneer, that is very uniform AND is quite a bit less expensive than regular veneer. It is called "Reconstituted" veneer. What is interesting is that the grain is straight, and almost flawless in character.

Now, I'm not trying to push anyone, but I just bought some reconstituted teak from one of the E-Bay sellers, and it came in today. It's beautiful. I also have reconstituted oak, and it is absolutely flawless in grain and is straight as an arrow.

If you ever get a chance to work with this type of veneer I highly recommend it. It is perfectly flat, easy to cut, and has beautiful lines.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks interesting, especially for the kind of large enclosures I'm primarily interested in. Thanks for the tip.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
squib is offline squib  United States
diyAudio Member

Default reconstituted

Just to clarify for anyone (like myself) who is unfamiliar with reconstituted veneer, I'll post this description from baconveneer.com:

RECONSTITUTED VENEER - This product is mad by laminating a block of veneers from what one would call the “edge” of the block; i.e. across the layers of veneer laminated together,. In its simplest application, it is obvious the edges of the laminated veneer become the “grain” of the Reconstituted Veneer and so the “grain” is perfectly straight. By maneuvering the contour of the laminations in the block form, any desired configuration can be attained. Reconstituted Veneer may be dyed as well (see Dyed Veneer). This product allows the “natural” substance to be maintained while freeing the designer to manipulate his/her own horizons.

Thanks for the tip, the teak looks great in the pic.
Old 8th November 2007, 05:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There is one thing about the Teak, that is different from the oak material. The oak material is absulutely flawless: no imperfections, broken lines, or dark spots. All the lines are absolutely straight and there is no pattern to the grain as with the teak.

However, the teak has character in the middle of the veneer, and this has a real advantage when veneering a wide part of the cabinet. But.........there is one irregularity with the veneer. For those who have worked in teak, they will attest that the dark wood also contains darker patches, akin to what you will sometimes find in cherry, that to a perfectionist, will appear to be an imperfection. The same thing happens here. You may go along and everything will be flawless, and then there will be a darker spot appearing suddenly.

It really doesn't bother me, but some may not be as overjoyed, especially after working with the oak(all my pieces are absolutely flawless). As cheap as the reconstituted veneer is, one can afford to pick and choose which they wish to use, and simply bypass any dark pats sticking out in the teak.

Almost all this reconstituted veneer appears to be coming from China at this time, or all the web sites are Chinese companies. So naturally there is one material that they should be exporting in huge quantities: bamboo.

I cannot wait to try out bamboo veneer. This is really the only way you can veneer the stuff, and I predict it to be a Huge Hit, when it reaches the opoen market. I have closely inspected the bamboo cuttingboards and small bowls and trays made from bamboo, and bamboo's character is such that is will make a wonderful covering in the veneer business.
Old 8th November 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think I want some.
Old 8th November 2007, 07:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Which one?
Old 9th November 2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice, thank you for pointing it out.
Old 9th November 2007, 02:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John L
Which one?
Oh, the bamboo, if / when it's released. Drool.
Old 9th November 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose

Oh, the bamboo, if / when it's released. Drool.
This guy has some right here. With it being 30 1/2" wide, you could easily fit it in as a one piece. Judging from the picture, it appears that the 30 1/2" is running the direction of the grain. I could be wrong though. You could always ask him.

Old 12th November 2007, 05:07 PM   #10
ped is offline ped  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

Is the recon veneer paperbacked?

What method did you use for attaching?

I just "won" both the oak and the teak

Hide this!Advertise here!