FE 208 Sigma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Puffin said:
Is the pattern as shown in the template the definitive pattern. Is there a specified product for doing these mods or just ink ? What will I hear as a result ? Cos there aint no going back once you start. However the 126 varnish & modpodge trick worked !

Sort of.

Yes. Very specific products.

You will hear it. As EnABLed speakersare swapped in, the look on the face of someone not into hifi, but likes music is a joy to see, and a comforting reminder that those little spots can make that much difference. Paradigm shifting.

The EnABL also works on the 126s right over the current treatment. You get 95-101% of the perfomance of a pair where the end goal in EnABLed from the start.

dave

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The products are in the EnABL thread.

Micro Scale Micro Gloss is the "conformal coating"

Flat acrylic paint for the dots. Bud P uses Polly S colors, I believe. Others have used Tamiya flat acrylics.

You'll need brushes for the conformal coating, and calligraphy pens for the dots.

You probably should take the time to read the EnABL thread on the regular loudspeakers forum. There's lots of good information there.

:)

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
It's really not that bad. The beginning of the thread is a bit disjointed because they moved a bunch of posts from a couple of different threads to start that one, but once you get past that, it's fine.

There is a lot of discussion about techniques that will be valuable if you're going to try it. It's worth a read, really.

FE208 vs FE206ESR

Hi

I have a pair of 206ESR since about a year.

Is someone has compared the 206ESR with the 208.

The ESR is very good in the mid but has a rising hf output.

The sound has improved since the beginning but i am looking to
the 208 maybe the E (with a tweeter) to improve the highs.

Scottmoose,

Limono is sand bagging you just a little. The DX 4 drivers he is comparing to your preferred, and rightly so in stock form, Fe 206sigma has been EnABL treated. Without question the most frighteningly dynamic driver I have ever had in my possession, after treatment.

This includes a few horns with CD made by reputable pro sound companies. As an indicator, the pronounced DX 4 "shout" is completely submerged in the rest of the frequency bandwidth, the entire FR is now more dynamic than the original shouty bandwidth.

Puffin,

There is not a single tutorial all about EnABL in the thread. There are however many examples of how to apply it to specific drivers. All cone drivers are treated in very simillar fashion, with only small deviations arising from physical differences in construction.

The following links are for the DX 4 that is discussed above and in earlier posts.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1202564#post1202564
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1210730#post1210730
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1215579#post1215579

The pages surrounding these posts are some of the most instructive about EnABL, in the entire thread.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.