Open baffle with B102???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BLTSOUND sells B102 for $77.50ea (purchase 2) - Eminence's old B102 made a good fake Druid - perhaps the new one with higher qes would too. I posted a fair amount of data on the fake Druid and it had some good points such as decent power handling which could not occur with B20 in the same pipe - one doesn't see bass players picking CH250 or B20 :^)

B102 sensitivity vs B20 at 10 foot on-axis/in-room - what I'm surprised to see is the apparent difference at 50Hz
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9155/fr102vsb20zy6.jpg

an open baffle might be ok and relieve the typical pipe reflection sounds of enclosures - are you intending to run the compression driver with no lens? that link shows a 2-bolt mount. Dayton's 1 3/8" thread waveguides might be fun with a tread-on driver.

(at this price range for two/side you're getting near the cost of Hawthorne's new 15 open baffle coax)

Thanks Freddi. I would use a lens on the tweeter. I may use a different tweeter altogether in the end but that one looks interesting to me.

I guess the real question is finding a driver that works on an open baffle? Maybe this one might be a better choice..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-515

I am scoping out my next project and want to use pro drivers. The goal is to learn by building something different. Pro drivers and open baffle are new to me. The only thing i want to maintain is using a wide range driver. Supplimenting the top and the bottom are easy. I dont want the speaker to be too big because i want it to be home friendly. I do want it to have punch and dynamics. Hi eff is important too. Low power tube amps or digital amps are my fav right now. I dont want to use Fostex again. I've used Fostex for my last few projects and want a change.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Godzilla

Hi godzilla,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-515

I have thought of using the CA2010 from the link above. I figured it would make an all right copy of the hammer dynamics 12 or what ever it is called.

A person could probably make a nice coax out of it anyways.

If you put that on an open baffle, what would you use for bass? I would imagine there would be better midrange drivers than that like possibly the FF series from Fostex, though you want to get away from those as you say.

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. Now i am thinking about this one...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-403

Cheap enough and i can pick a pro tweeter and play away on an open baffle. Eventually i will probably build a handful of diff cabs but want to get a better understanding of how open baffle sounds.

Has anyone used this driver on an open baffle before?

Many thanks,
Godzilla

Zilla,

I hate looking at published response graphs on any of these larger drivers. No matter how nice they may sound in real life, the graphs always make them look like they should be crossed at or below 1kHz ;-p

You are certainly in the realm where you're not going to be using a "super" tweeter any more. Your going to need a beefy tweeter that can reach down low enough to cross with these monsters, and I'm afraid I've got nothing for you there. The only decent tweeter I've used that will go low enough is the B&G Neo3PDR, which supposedly will good as low as 2kHz (it is a pretty large membrane for a tweeter). Unfortunately, they're only rated for 90dB, and that's with the stock "back cup" on, which in my opinion, just kills the sound. When you take the back cup off, you get sweet, dipole treble which is just magick, but its obviously kills the sensitivity even further. I suppose you could make a line of them to fix that, but at like $45 each, that's not even remotely sensible.

I suppose you followed the discussion around MJK's new article about fullrange + bass help on OB. I think maybe that is a direction you might want to pursue, since you've already drivers that would work for the fullrange part. All you would need is a pair of Eminence Alpha 15"ers, some wood and crossover components. Might be a good project to finally give your TB Bamboos a workout.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.