first speaker, please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,

first post :). my name is frank, in 3 weeks i am 21 and i want to build my first speaker. woodworking should not be a problem :smash:.

so far i heard music with my 2-way bookshelf speakers from heco i bought 4 years ago for about 300 euro. after hearing two cheap visatons bg20 in a simple vented box i knew this is the sound i want. fullrange magic :D.

99,9 percent of the time, this is the kind of music i need my speakers for:

http://www.myspace.com/kimberlylinn1
http://www.myspace.com/williamfitzsimmons

i don't need any real bass, and usually i don't listen to music to very loud. also, my room is not very big.

what drvier/cabinet can you suggest. money: about 300 euro for both drivers.

regards
frank

hello Frank,

a couple of questions first (if you answer them accurately it will be easier for any/all to help :) )

so your taste in music is folky, vocals, small group stuff. Great. That's important to know. equally important to know:
[*]By small room, how small?
[*]What amplifier/source will you use?
[*] Where can you put the loudspeakers-- on stands, floorstanding types, or?

Basedon your answers, I am sur many will chime in, but tough to help if not enough information. And from your post, I am assuming you'd like to stick with full range type drivers.

Re: hello Frank,

Hello Nanook!

thank you for your answer :).

"By small room, how small?"

16.5 x 11.5 x 7.2 Feet

"What amplifier/source will you use?"

tough question. for the beginning i will use my yamaha amp, but a gainclone is going to replace the yamaha, looks simple enough for me. but the pass amps are very tempting too. aleph3 or zen or soz. my cdp is a marantz cd-67 se, no mod.

"Where can you put the loudspeakers-- on stands, floorstanding types, or?"

floorstanding, bookshelfspeaker, whatever. it can be as big as the fostex recommended for the 206e. and no open baffle, i don't like the sound of open baffles.

"And from your post, I am assuming you'd like to stick with full range type drivers."

Correct :).

i thought about the 168es from fostex, or the 8" hemp driver. the audio nirvana super 10 looks good. or maybe a small driver. for me, midrange is very important, especially voices. the fostex fe108es looks good.

:)
frank

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: hello Frank,

Frank Harnbach said:
16.5 x 11.5 x 7.2 Feet

for me, midrange is very important, especially voices. the fostex fe108es looks good.

Small room, no requirement for deep bass, listening to a lot of the same kinda stuff i do. You want to pursue one of the smaller drivers, FE108eS, FE126/127. Hemp Acoustic FR4.5c (maybe -- we'll see if Stew can help get diy supply running smoothly -- I've been waiting somethong like 6 months for a replacement set).

The bigger drivers get you more bass, greater efficiency, more dynamic potential, but at the sacrifice of midrange & top. I've yet been able to get my FE108eS sound as good as the FE127eN in a Fonken.

Some of the boxes (and there are LOTs of choices) for these drivers can get at least as much bass as your room can handle.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: hello Frank,

Frank Harnbach said:
for the beginning i will use my yamaha amp, but a gainclone is going to replace the yamaha, looks simple enough for me. but the pass amps are very tempting too. aleph3 or zen or soz.

I do have to mention that the above drivers will ruthlessly reveal any short-comings of the amplifier and i'd suggest jumping right to the Pass stuff. I understand the F2 is particularily sweet with these.

dave

I would go fore the Abby clones with Fostex FE166, i've build them myself and they are just getting better and better, even my wife is impressed by the sound!
You can easily build them within your budget if you do the woodwork yourself.(depending on what wood you prefere)
Mine are playing with a chipamp - if you need more bass you can always add a sub.
Those speakers needs a long "burn inn" period, i've been playing with mine fore about 7 - 8 month and they sound great.
In the beginning they sound a little "tight" but i guess all new loudspeakers do that.

let's play nice MJL:)....

lets not all start on this again...

well, your room isn't that small, although 7-1/2 ft ceilings are a little on the low side for North America...more typical in the UK and other olde worlde countries.

ok for some specifics...

1. ignore all others :)
  2. depending on the power output of your soon to be PASS/chip amp, etc...
  3. consider the Jordon JX92 drive units---reportedly very excellent, with many proven designs, and a cost advantage for you in the UK--88dB 1W@1m--many great implementations using this driver
  4. Hemp drivers (in my biased opinion --I'm taking over/starting customer service for the DIY on behalf of Hemp Acoustics), are the best I've heard in several situations. There are European dealers and a European master distributor :
    Hemp Acoustics Europe
    0011-44-1978 853805
    Minors Road Llay Industrial Estate
    Wrexham,North Wales,
    LL12OPJ United Kingdom
    david_parkinson@icwltd.co.uk
    tel: 818-456-6490

I decided to purchase Hemps FR8c drivers before I arranged a review (I also write for Affordable$$Audio ). I only recently have become involved with Hemp Acoustics in a professional capacity, although the association , as of now is a little loose, and the exact nature of my association has not been completely defined nor formalized)
  5. consider the Visaton (B200), the various Fostex (FE166/167/20207/208), etc.
  6. another interesting design are planet10's "Mileva" design as seen here . I recently (this past weekend ) put together a pair of planet10's "Demetri" enclosures for the Hemp FR8 (I tore my personal drivers out of a box I was happy with)/Fostex FE167/FE207 drivers. If the Demetris are any indication the Milevas may be a consideration. nice bass without being overdone...I have heard the Milevas in person, although briefly--they never failed to impress me--but I heard them outside, in Britiish Colombia's fresh air....qalso the "Fonkens" which I have 4-5 weeks listening experience awith are very good--a FR4.5 version might be considering (dave ;) )
  7. Tony Glee's designs are interesting, and are European based, so may reflect drivers available there as well
  8. regardless of what others say, please purchase the best quality materials for your DIY enclosures, else recycle some existing cabinets. And avoid large enclosures if they are to made of solid wood
    [/list=1]

as for dave's concern regarding warranty, etc with Hemp Acoustics, that is one of the first priorities and to well define the warranty terms and appropriate procedures--(almost sounds grown up).

Frank Harnbach: I did manage to do a quick listen to the music links and must say your taste in music is quite refreshing considering your age. And your rather pragmatic and realistic views as to your needs. Regardless of which you choose, nothing but best wishes as you venyture into DIY audio fun and audio bliss...

dave: did you get the .dwg drawing I emailed you?
    Rovsing: yes the Abby clones may very well be another consideration .

hello :)!

i think i have to decide if i want to have a small fullrange driver, like the 103e or the jordan jx92s, or if i want something bigger, like the b200 or the 8" hemp. never heard a small fullrange driver.

this weekend i can hear the 206e in a jericho. i hope i can hear a small fostex speaker in a horn soon.

frank

With the info given you are prime for a Open baffle single driver system..The single driver thing gets more intense in OB ,,just my thoughts for you. I have tried to go away from OB single drivers jus to see & quickly return. I feel I cannot go back. small rooms & OB is crazy nice despite what you might read ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.