Fostex recommended FE103 Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was planning on building the Fostex recommended BLH FE103 enclosure and came across the CSS FR125 speaker from creative sounds. Will this driver work in this enclosure or would I be better off sticking with the FE103.

This is my first foray in this areana and I wanted to start with something simple that sounds good and then go from there.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

To be honest, you'd probably be better off not using either. ;) The FE103E cabinet has uses, but it's not much cop with the 103 either. Dave (planet10) has a pair, and AFAIK, even with his considerable experience with different cabinets & drivers, he simply can't get them to work well. I'm not entirely surprised -that box is tuned far too low for the driver IMO. If you can stretch the budget slightly to the FE126E or FE127E, you'll have a whole lot more cabinet options available to you.

I have a NAD 710 receiver that I will initially be using. Since it has a separate pre / power amp, I will look into a separate amp down the road.

The cost difference for a pair of FE126E is only about $20 more so I don't mind going with those. I also like the Fostex recommended enclosure. Do you have any thoughts on this enclosure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
The FE103E cabinet ... the FE126E or FE127E,

Neither the factory 103 enclosure or the 126 enclosure are all that hot. The 103 box is quite honky, and the 125 box has you speculating about adding a woofer (in which case you might as well just use an OB or an aperiodic box.

The P10 box library, and the Frugal-horn site have ALOT of options for the FE126 & FE127 (and growing). Some very simple to build.

dave

I'll second Scottmoose's opinion about the Fostex recommended BLH for the FE103E. I never could get it to sound particularly good despite a considerable amount of effort. Its not a simple build either and requires a significant amount of table saw use. The BR for this driver sounds a lot better and is a simple build.

After searching some more I have decided to build Ron's A126 horn design. I plan on finishing them in a gloss black with the speaker binding post mounted lower on the back. I have put together a full size MS Visio drawing of the front and side internal and external layout to use as a template for building. I am going to get it printed out on a plotter and then transferred to foam board to use a template. I will build them over the Christmas holidays.

Can I hook the FE126's to a receiver without the cabinets for a couple of days to break them in.

Thanks for all your assistance.

You probably couldn't find a more thoroughly engineered or better sounding DIY design for the FE126 than Ron's A126 (or commercial product for that matter)

Be prepared to spend some time experimenting with both the suprabaffle, and the rear prism deflector

You're using foam board as a template - may I ask without invoking a revisit to the "why / why not" thread, what construction material are you planning on?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rega said:
I have decided to build Ron's A126 horn design....I have put together a full size MS Visio drawing

I echo Chris' post. The A126 and the A166 represent probably the most advanced designs you'll see, Ido hope you plan on using FE126e and not FE103e. They do require at least wall placement (but due to their size still stick out into the room a number of feet)

I'd also love a copy of the Visio (in a format i can read), i am sorely behind at redrawing the plans for the RonHorns.

dave

planet10 said:

I echo Chris' post. The A126 and the A166 represent probably the most advanced designs you'll see, Ido hope you plan on using FE126e and not FE103e. They do require at least wall placement (but due to their size still stick out into the room a number of feet)

I'd also love a copy of the Visio (in a format i can read), i am sorely behind at redrawing the plans for the RonHorns.

dave

Well, I think I recall a variant sketch by Ron with the mouth bifurcated by a triangular deflector for side exit, allowing for near wall placement.

"Advanced" doesn't necessarily mean intricately complicated. The A126 horns I built a year or so ago were far less work to assemble than the Aiko or Fostex recommended BLH designs for FE 166ESR or 206ESR

I am going with the FE126 and not the 103 or 108. I plan on building them out of MDF without the supra baffle. Just a flat front to start with.
I might consider building the rear prism deflectors after I have tried the speaker out for a while. Here are a couple of images on fullrangedriver.com of what the finished speaker should look like.

http://fullrangedriver.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=26

http://fullrangedriver.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=27

Dave, what format do you want the Visio file in. I am using Visio 2003 but can save in other formats also.

Dilu

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rega said:
what format do you want the Visio file in. I am using Visio 2003 but can save in other formats also.

I'm using VectorWorks (native VW format is probably too much to ask for)... DWG or DXF work (V2004/2005)

Note that the deflector & supraBaffle are integral parts of the speaker and you will be sacrificing sonic performance by leaving those out.

dave

The 126 or 166 appears to work well in a BLH, although i have never heard the 126.

I have heard the A166 and i have to say i was impressed. This may sound egotistical ,as i designed them , but there is a vast difference between running sims/designing and actually hearing the end result.

ron

Dave,

I am able to save as an AutoCAD DWG format. Send me an email with you address so I can email the file to you since I am not able to send emails via the forums yet.

I am going to update the drawing with the measurement and angle details and will also send that when complete.

Is there any preference for the deflector. Triangular shaped with flat top vs. angled top. I will try to put together a drawing for that. I will build this as a separate piece thus allowing it to be positioned.

Dilu

I believe that anything above the flat top is cosmetic.

Not really.

I kind of look at designing as extracting the maxium out of anything. If something adds 1/2 of 1 % then its still a gain.
However i truly doubt that you would hear a difference, (Besides, you cant put a potted plant on the top with the angle).

ron

Just got my FE126E's from Solen in Quebec, Canada. I hooked them up stand alone to break them in. I was blown away by the detailed sound quality.

I am looking forward to building the cabinets over the Christmas break and listening to the completed speakers.

Dilu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.