Philips AD12100-hp8 on open baffle ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Philips AD12100 M8

Simei said:
Hi Leonidas,

The actual drawing is at this wedsite:

http://www.geocities.com/tadgesualdo/VintageTLDesign.html

Both AD12100 M8 & HP are similar. They sound very sweet and pleasant to my ears.

I am quite happy without adding any tweeter to it.

Cheers!!!:D

page is half - functional - one pic is missing ;

you can always put pictures here ( you probably have them saved), or - if you can't shrink them enough for posting here - send them to me and I'll do that .

just in case - my e-mail is (between the brackets ) : >choky@neobee.net<

I love to see these wonderfull vintage FR's bieng used in wonderfull ways & proof that modern is not allways better in music making machine. I mix new & old also & use vintage FR's in all kinds on sizes, 8-12" mostly. The augment bass alot of differany ways..I will have to try some of these drivers someday..I have never even heard 1 Philips driver, running PIM-8L's now.

If anyone want another or try it out I have a very fresh 12" Philips 12100/HP8 for sale, that I found in Denmark. HP must stand for High Power version.

Attachments

• 20140212_104518[1].jpg
    20140212_104518[1].jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 20140212_104444[1].jpg
    20140212_104444[1].jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 348
Hi guys (not many girls here, I suppose...),

This is my first message on this wondeful forum. English is not my first language, so please don't kid me when I write charabia...:)

I intend to buy Philips AD 12100/M8 speakers here in my neighbourhood. I shall use them with a modified Leak Stereo 20 valve amp.

I personnaly think that Philips AD speakers are very transparent, have very good transient response, but are somewhat coloured (clangy?) in the midrange. Is an application of Damar (or Dammar?) varnish enough to tame them?

I intend to put them on open baffle. Should I cut off the "whizzer" cone and add a tweeter? There is a pair of good priced Fountek ribbon tweeters waiting for me in my hometown.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Christian (my real name)

Hello, let's see if this one can be resurrected :)

I came to possession of some AD 12100/HP8, I made some quick OB speakers out of them. My first open baffle speakers, no bass below 120Hz really, but wow. I was expecting no bass from the setup and a very lean sound as a result, but what I got blew me away... yes, there's no depth to the bass but the upper bass is very good and does excellent job of the harmonics, plus the low midrange is so fullsome and natural. It doesn't sound anything at all like what I expected, I didn't think the speakers would play really nice music and sound excellent (with some caveats) as it is.

Current setup, 1x AD12100 + 1x AD0163/T8 per side, 60x80cm baffle, tweeter mounted above baffle. The AD 12100 did produce kind of enough treble by themselves, they seem good up to about 10,000Hz and there was some audible output all the way up to 15k or so. Beyond that I really don't trust my hearing anyway.

The problem was I wasn't happy about the sound on-axis, way too harsh, but off-axis all treble was gone, so insert helper tweeters. I'm not a big fan of the AD 0163 but I had them laying around and crossing over 1st order @ 10kHz they are ok, plus blend quite well with the fullranges. I also put together a notch filter @ bout 2.5kHz for the AD12100, which helped quite a bit with the harshness.

It's only been couple days and the drivers are NOS, so they've been sitting in their taped shut boxes, wrapped in plastic for some 40 years, so this is the first time they are playing music. I think they are sounding better by the hour, so hopefully breaking in. Currently the best results were obtained by toeing in the drivers a lot, crossing well in front of listening seat, this tames the presence region nicely and with the helper tweeters there's enough dispersion there's no loss of highs. Pretty good imaging which stays very stable even when moving about, so a nice and wide sweet spot.

Now we come to the bass, though I enjoy the speakers a lot as is, eventually I will want < 100Hz back into my music. I can mount the woofer(s) at the very bottom of the baffle, as close to the floor as possible. I'm currently trying to figure out a cheap woofer to do this with. I'm just wondering how much the boundary from the floor reinforces the bass and at what frequencies? The fullrange will stay fullrange, the woofer crossover point will be around 150Hz or so, haven't really figured that one out yet. Taking floor reinforcement into account, what kind of sensitivity would I need from the woofer to work well with ~93-95dB or so of the AD12100/HP8?

I have another pair of the AD12100, but it would seem a waste and not optimal to use them for that, besides I don't think adding another would provide that much more extension, except for what you get from boundary reinforcement by mounting the driver as close to floor as possible. I also have some 8" AD80651/W4, no idea of sensitivity, Qts etc... I'd assume 90dB max, Philips specifies Fs of 39Hz. They have a rubber surround and I think were designed to be used in small sealed enclosures. Maybe usable in this application? Depends really on how much boost one can expect from floor. I could also add U-frames. I'd hack something together to try them out, but I'm currently lacking coils to cross them over low enough.

I also see I could get a pair of 15" MGR (Ljudia) PA woofers for about 60 euros, which seems somwhat tempting, they have high Qts and sensitivity (though they start to roll off early). Doubtful about the quality but I guess they could serve as a poor mans Eminence Alpha...

I realize this is kind of getting into 3-way territory, but with the full range being driven full bandwith and handling all the really important bits, I figured this is still the right forum. (Yes, bass and treble are important but, 150-10,000 Hz really covers most instruments quite well)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.