New flat pack horn kit for FE206E from Madisound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think...

I think that this setup would sound killer. get a decent 2a3, px 25, or el34 SET amp and music will ooze from these.

there will be a decent amount of midrange from the port. good thing, bad thing. definitely in the realm of very high efficiency/ true horn speaker.

you will want to set them up in a decently sized room, but in a relatively close array. think 9 to 5 feet from the speaker, with equilateral triangle setup.

drivers pointed straight at ya, no need for a tweeter. it is a geeky system. meant to create a single area of bliss. totally selfish, these large full rangers are...

be careful on the torque of the driver mount screws.

break em in a plenty (about a year and a half...)

it will likely only need a small 6 inch circle of quilt batting right behind the magnet. maybe a small strip at the bottom of the first curve.

I have had some 206e around for a while in a PA system. also, I have tried them out in almost every 8 inch enclosure I have built. the 206e is a work of art, needs proper harnessing though.

the bk20 is the first enclosure I know of within the cheaper realm which will actually likely get all the best points of the 206 across. the 208 in the same enclosure? eh... might be a little too much driver for the cab. think of it like cain and cain abby's with the 168EZ. it sounds great, but in the end the 166e is just a better driver in that application.

forget correction networks. the fostex stuff is inherently too refined within its own paradigm for that. correction networks are for other drivers. the 206e begs to be put in a restrictionless and slightly underdamped back horn. especially one that is NOT triple thickened side walls and 250 lbs a piece. the woods needs to give a little tone in this application. the strike panels in the bk 20, the thickness of the wood and the fact that it is relatively UN-reinforced is a good thing here.

they will sound tonal, detached, and sarcastically dynamic.

gangsta!

Clark

RCA-Fan's horn (plans over at Audio Asylum's high efficiency speaker forum gallery) appears better for 206 than Fostex 208 cabinet.

my BK20 kit's bottom didn't fit flush but its a sturdy kit and optimized pretty well for small (~4.2 cubic foot bulk)

here's my very close couch position (laying down) of Bk20 with a $12.60 Sammi and ST324 tweeter w. 1.1uF vs a Klipsch Heresy which is elevated about 16 inches off the floor.

BK20 indoors vs Heresy - equal drive - nice to have floor coupling :^)
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5944/bk20samvsheresyir1it3.gif

BK20 outdoors just Sammi - mouth open vs a pillow jammed into mouth
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3958/bk20outsamongp1ry8.gif

RCA-Fan blh - just 5 internal pieces and no wasted volume (no reflectors)
gi.mpl

RCA-Fan blh vs Fostex 208 horn - K-slot blh might have more "hit" and definition on cello than Fostex
http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=21168&f=RCAFANVS.jpg

yeah i know only the rec. blh will be to heavy for me to manage. been looking into alternatives, the austin-a166mk2 is top of my list. i haven't long term feedback from anyone who did this combo and would hate to find out the hard way that that the fostex rec. blh would've been better. ron has pointed out a flaw in the fostex rec. blh an gave me the impression that he thinks his austin's would sound better in my application. i looked at the spawn iris and chili chang option which would be versatile due to not needing corner placement however they'll prob. end up weighting as much as the fos. rec. blh. the other issue here is a small listening room which brings me back to the austin's. anyway i can't make up my mind which to build.
a lot of people report 45's sounding good with their cain & cain abby's which has me wanting to use 45's with the 166es-r's in my small room, just need to determine which of the available cab. options will be best. more so now that the weather is right for speaker building. any further thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
thanks again.

thanks you prob. right about the austins.
i hope i don't screw up the dimensions resizing the compression chamber to 2.74L. i'm not sure if i'm supposed to correct that volume accounting for the internal space taken up by the driver? ron c. crunched the numbers for austin/es-r c.c. volume when using a 12.7"x12.7" supra baffle (which i would do), only i neglected to ask about the driver. prob. should have made a request for resized plans so i wouldn't have to be concerned about messing them up, but i thought that would be asking for to much.
i think i'll begin to build them as soon as i get some nice exotic veneer (been watching ebay). i plan on veneering both the outside and inside surface of the b.b. ply (for = pressure to resist warping), so i'll need to apply it (at least the inside surface), prior to assembly.

thats something to think about. i could steam bend the thin hobby ply (i think it's basswood), laminate them up to 18mm and router out the side panels to hold them in place. could also tongue and grove curved sections to the linear ones. seems like a lot if work, if i do that i hope it's worth it.
hum... o.k. now i'm really going off..., can't help but wonder what area shops would charge to cnc my b.b. to do a layertone version, it'll prob. be ridiculous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.