crappy pic of a half built horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
but man it's a shame to cover up that woodwork.

Attachments

• 10-25-07_1449.jpg
    10-25-07_1449.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,456
nanl2053 said:
but man it's a shame to cover up that woodwork.

Agreed. I think there is little understanding of the internals of the builds we do.

I had the idea long time ago to incorporate a graphic into the side panel to indicate the horn path. It could be rather arty and a conversation piece.

You know the old tune: "The Music Goes Round And Round"?

;)

GM

Joined 2003
Agreed, make one side out of clear Lexan. Expensive, probably ~$1k for two ~19 mm pieces, but what the heck, you only live once and it shows off your woodworking skills, commitment to audio reproduction for < many B@#$ speaker systems.

GM

GM said:
Agreed, make one side out of clear Lexan. Expensive, probably ~$1k for two ~19 mm pieces, but what the heck, you only live once and it shows off your woodworking skills, commitment to audio reproduction for < many B@#$ speaker systems.

GM

Eh, the see through treatment is less subtle.

Perspex or Plexiglass
can be had as cutoffs at a glass shop for a lot less.

See through is good for demos and such but the surface will get scratched eventually and get full of finger prints.

loninappleton said:

Eh, the see through treatment is less subtle.

Perspex or Plexiglass
can be had as cutoffs at a glass shop for a lot less.

See through is good for demos and such but the surface will get scratched eventually and get full of finger prints.

That's the whole point! Just look at mega K $$$ speakers, subtle looking typically isn't part of the marketing paradigm.

Hmm, my experience with water clear Lexan Vs the others is it's much more scratch resistant and well worth the $$$ difference, though as always YMMV.

GM

Re: Re: crappy pic of a half built horn

loninappleton said:

Agreed. I think there is little understanding of the internals of the builds we do.

I had the idea long time ago to incorporate a graphic into the side panel to indicate the horn path. It could be rather arty and a conversation piece.

You know the old tune: "The Music Goes Round And Round"?

;)

I printed off a copy of the plans for my first set of bushorns and kept them in a drawer next to the speaker. Almost everyone who saw the speakers would have some wise-crack about the speakers just being a pair of box's standing there in the living room. One guy said ,"hmm, homemade speakers, kinda ghetto ain't it":xeye: , then he heard them and said, "how in the hell did you do that" , I said "Hey, they don't build these in the ghetto, and handed him the drawings"

well then, you may as well buy the plywood now - then you could solve the MDF vs plywood dilemma conclusively

I read that thread thinking I will soon be in possession of identical speakers one MDF one Plywood. Unfortunately as you said, it won't do much good arguing about it on the internet. At least I'll know for myself if there's a difference :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.