crappy pic of a half built horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SCRATCH RESIST PLEXI

I've build a 7.2 HT system using 3/4 and 1/2 inch thick plexi, except for the front baffle, all joint were cemented using plaxi solvent.

The subs were solid black plexi, but the sats are green tinted clear pleaxi, and they look really cool, since you can see all the internal x-overs and guts.

Should anyone need some free plexi or laxan solvent, just drop me a line and I'll send you some. ( Had to buy 1 gallon of each ! and they will last me for ever.)

Thare are a few types scratch resist plexi/laxan from GE and 3M, (like the type used to form the giant buble on the F-18 hornet's windshield) but they are very hard to find and of course expensive as well, if anyone interested i can send more info.

Imagine building a horn using all clear plexi and drill a series of small holes at the base and plug in fiber optic transmitters and light them up at night as mood lights for a sync light show, any taker? I can see these as trully unique masterpieces.

Lets be creative and have some fun at the same time, shall we?

Glue

Sorry for going off on a tangent here. Dave CC, tried to email you, but not allowed.......

Where were you when I was building my Gainclone?....;)

Could you please email me with more details of this glue you have been using.

enzedone.at.orcon.net.nz

Naybe I can try and look for something similar down here.

Cheers

Brett.

Sorry to but in on this thread

Attachments

• r0010676.jpg
    r0010676.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 525
Glue Spec

Sorry, for the getting back late, its weekend, and usually its more hectic here in the house.

The glue's mfg is IPS the product name is WELD-ON, they come in in different density to fit the gap size. The smoother the cut, the less the gap... and therefor use a water thin and fast curing type usually number 3 or 4 , but if cut are rough and gaps are irregular use thicker glue , they have number 16 , and its semi-gel density is ideal for large gap, but cures very slow and hard to apply.

I have some pics of the subs i built in 19MM black plexi, not great pics but,one can see the glueing seam and finish is more than acceptable. ( unfortunately the attachment was too big , for here, sorry. But I can e-mail you these.)

my e-mail is dcpcdc@yahoo.com you can reach me here with no problem, should anyone need more info .

some pics of the ht in black and green edge plexi

Still have not done my break in yet, but the initial impresion for this 7.2 system is nice, a bit too bright, ( I guess is because I have bot stuffed in my dampering mat yet. Any suggestion ? I really liked the look with nothing in the box, but if only I can find some colored fiber glass ..... ?

Attachments

• img_0567.jpg
    img_0567.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 315
PLEXI BOXES

The box is a removable design with the front baffle's black rubber gasget and the .500 inch round-over, it looks like a mirrored reflection, there is no aluminun corners on them.

The solvent used is by IPS - WELD ON , and works only if the edges are pre-finished very smooth and cemented on a clear /dry day, or you'll get lots of bubbles in the joint.

The round overs are routed and sanded almost to perfection and them buffed with compound, very time comsuming process, but the result speaks of itself.

I am working on a new pair of MTM -with Sub , but this time I am working with cherry veneer.:D

You guys are correct, the speakers are small, the plasma is only 50", which I am upgrading this X'mas, Haaa... just love x'mas , send the wife and kid ski, and you can upgrade all your heart desires...

planet10 said:
Latertone built some horns with plexi sides. they looked quite sharp, (can't find the picture_

dave

Thanks Dave

been out of it for a while, not sure when i'm going to get back.... sorry guys

this one was my first CNC multi-layered horn test, only built 1 and now it's on the way to the dumpster...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.