Bandor 50mm Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just recieved a pair of Bandor 50mm Full range drivers, put them in some quick, small, cardboard 1.5L sealed boxes with some 'egg' diffusers for a cheap Omni-directional project.

does not sound bad for £30 ;)

i like the open spacious and relaxed sound, certainly very different to my Silver Iris coaxials :D

does anyone have any info on these? they have a sticker with the following-
DW 802
25w RMS
.75 912

along with a sticker with just '802' on it :)

Attachments

• photo-0015.jpg
    photo-0015.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,323
The telephone number dates them.

As does .75 - inch diameter voice coil.

I used a 0.5" dia. voice coil unit as a TV speaker for many years, before this new-fangled NICAM stereo was dreamt up. It is now the first speaker connected to a newly built amp.

I assume you have visited http://www.bandor.co.uk?

Mrs Jordan(Ms Doreen Bance) has been selling these for many years. I wonder just how different they now are from E J Jordan units.

Edit
Ooops - late as usual!

DW stands for "double Wound" voice coil, Bandor also sells SW's or single wounds. The type you have got seems to be the "50ADW8"

nice drivers, still have a pair of them too. For fun you should try them just lying bare naked on the table for fun (well the drivers that is, not you) and sit close in front of them, doesn't go low but this way you will get a soundstage to die for, a bit on the small side but absolutely gorgiously 3 dimensional.

thanks, not sure where this idea is going really, was thinking of mabye using the Omni directional 'module' with some sort of passive bass part below.

iirc, the Wharfdale Linton's were about 86dB, which i have the bass drivers for (the enclosures underneath the Bandor boxes), could it be possible just to add a simple 6dB low pass on them at around 120Hz?

i was thinking of adding a small woofer say something like the HiVi M5a as it continues the metal driver theme, with around 3dB of BSC be around 84dB, its cheap (£25ea), works in a small box with surprising bass (sim'd 6.5L with -3dB @ 60Hz) mabye crossed over at 300Hzish, and a simple 6dB/octave, £30 for the crossover, total project under £100.

:smash:

I did build a small transmissionline for them once, just for fun. It worked out pretty well, lows into 55 hz. Didn't go loud though, not at all but it was the most extended range I did ever hear from just one driver. Pretty nice as desktop speakers for low listening levels.

Sjef said:
I did build a small transmissionline for them once, just for fun. It worked out pretty well, lows into 55 hz. Didn't go loud though, not at all but it was the most extended range I did ever hear from just one driver. Pretty nice as desktop speakers for low listening levels.

that sounds interesting, do you have any other info, plan/size, photo etc?

or even possibly a BiB? ;)

:)

I don't have them anymore and have no plans or pictures. It was just a standard one time folded textbook TL design with a starting area of roughly 1.4 sd and an end of 0.8 sd total lenght of 1.4m and filled with wool. This was not a perfect transmissionline, far from it but still it was really fun to hear how low the little Bandor can go. it wasn't a serious project just something to try for fun. The little Bandor runs very quickly out of steam in such an enclosure but what else did you expect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.