Pioneer 8" BOFU BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IIRC, the ledges TC put in were primarily to support a grill based on a frame of 3/4in particleboard, to stop the cabinet becoming a rubbish bin, though they undoubtedly had the effect you describe Greg. I know that he lined the final part of his original 1354 box, just as Fostex suggested for the design:

'...I notice that by lining the output of the top end of the speaker with an inch thick layer and down about 8" seems to help dampen the ripple effect a little. TC.'

Greetings,

Here are the t/s parameters for a B20FU driver as measured by Jack from NHT. There are no units associated with the parameters which introduces some confusion. I've included the standard metric units below in parenthesis with a question mark to indicate a final determination has not yet been made.

Please give these an eyeball and help to confirm my assumed units are correct.

Re = 6.17 ohm
Diameter = 165 mm
DriveLevel = 20 mV

Fs = 37.66 Hz
Qms = 2.544
Qes = .524
Qts = .435
Vas = 96.27 (L?)
Cms = .0015 (m/N?)
Mms = 11.91 (g?)
Mair = 1.77 (g?)
BL = 5.76 (Tm?)
SPL = 91.74 (1w or 2.83v?)
No = .94 (%/100?)
Zmax = 36.12 ohm
Sd = .021382 (m^2?)

- Matt

Attachments

• ts_params.jpg
    ts_params.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,510
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
There is no mention of having the inside of the base having a layer of damping although it is shown and has an arrow to it.

Mark

That paragraph is quite information dense & compact, but it is there "3/a matt of poly, fiberglass, wool felt," The associated number and the damping fill shape clearly indicate where... Any suggestions on expanding it?

dave

GCDOB (Garage cabinet door open baffle)

slomatt said:
One word... wow!

Thanks to the generosity of Nelson Pass a pair of BOFUs followed me home from burningamp. Tonight I got around to hooking them up for an initial listen. I have them setup in my top secret UMOBD (ultra-minimalist open baffle dipole) enclosures, which are so minimal that they almost look like the drivers are just sitting on the floor.

- Matt

I'm going to cut holes in the doors of a couple of cabinets in my garage and stick the BuFus in backwards so I can listen with the doors open - open baffle on three sides...

The nice thing is that if I like it I can tweak endlessly - hinge pins, angle, brace to back wall, la la la...

Depending on what I hear I might try my old Velodyne 18" behemoth for the bottom end :devilr:

tim

planet10 said:
Just a note: i was working thru Variacs plans prepping for a SketchUp of the BOFU BIB. There are a couple dimensional errors. 1 panel too short (by my figuring diagonal should be 66 1/4" long), and 1 too wide (baffle should be the same width as the cabinet)

I've contacted Mark so as to get updated plans posted.

dave.

I'm going to ask perhaps a foolish question. In the drawing I can't tell if the top of the cabinet is open or closed. Is it open?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
John L

The BIB is the Earth Shatteringest. The footprint isn't really THAT big, and it can be stuck in the corner, covered in nice wood and have trim at the top and bottom.... Nice effortless, tuneful bass...

Dave- I see it now! it is pretty concentrated.

Panel Info: Maybe something like this?:

The majority of horn type speaker builders seem to prefer a hardwood, void free 3/4" plywood, which should work very well for this design. However, if you want to keep the total cost for the pair at under $100 in the spirit of the low cost drivers, then you should do as we did and use 3/4" OSB or "flakeboard". It cannot have tongue and groove edges if you are to use the cutting diagram. The sound is very good with this material, and it could be color stained and varnished in an attractive or at least entertaining manner.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I moved some of the posts on this thread about the 8" Pioneer BOFU driver generally , to here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60632

Just thought that it was better to keep info related to the driver in other cabinets in one place for everyone to use. The driver works in lots of configurations so it is nice to encourage that I think

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's a copy of the curve I took from the Bu20Fu20's with and
without the 3/8" Vifa tweeter that we were giving away.

I'll try to look up the model # and the wiring diagram for the
phase.

Ignore the bottom end on this curve.

:cool:

Attachments

• pioneer 01.gif
    pioneer 01.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,437
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.