FE167E, Zobel and/or BSC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FE167E, Zobel and/or BSC

Can anyone recommend good Zobel and/or BSC circuits for this driver? It's in a BR box being driven by a low power Pentode amp that has a Zout of aprox 8ohms. So as you can imagine given the impedance curve of this driver. It starts to sound harsh in the upper-mid and the mid has a tendency to shout.

I've seen a few odds and ends of circuits for this driver, but for different circumstances.

Thanks!
Old 24th October 2007, 05:25 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Martin King has some tools for helping figuring out BSC.

Given the high output impedance of your amp, a zobel is probably more what you need. There are a number of calculators on the net if you can't find someone that has already figured the Zobel values (Bob Brines?)

dave
Old 24th October 2007, 05:50 PM   #3
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Hmm, if the output impedance is indeed ~8 ohms, it 'sounds' like you need a larger box and/or tuned lower.

GM
Old 24th October 2007, 06:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm, if the output impedance is indeed ~8 ohms, it 'sounds' like you need a larger box and/or tuned lower.
Yeah, that would be cool, but I purchased these ones pre built. The Mid bass is earth quaking though. Just kidding, it sounds ok down low.... for bookshelf sized speakers.

The problem I have for figuring the Zobel is that the inductance is not specified on the drivers data sheet.

I saw somewhere a guy is using a 8-10ohm with a 6.8uF cap. Can anyone verify these are the right values?
Old 24th October 2007, 07:27 PM   #5
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, you could tune it lower if it's vented or vent a sealed one. Anyway, just 'eyeballing' what 2*7.1 ohms (Re) is on the vague Fostex data sheet it calcs to ~8.9 ohms/5.6 uF cap, so now you have a range of caps to try. The resistor you can dial in by just measuring the coil's (Re) and multiplying it by 1.25.

GM
Old 25th October 2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Piek is offline Piek  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I had success with 15Ohm 15uF 0,10mH paralell, it works in the 1,5k-4,5k region and reduces shout a lot.

(But i use chipamps, no experience with tube amps and impedance)

Regards, Micha
Old 25th October 2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

I do not think a zobel is going to do much to the "shouty" sound of the Fostex - with or without tube amplifier.

The Fostex tend to sound a bit shouty especially when new. A BSC filter and/or a notch filter will probably be required to balance the sound in a BR cabinet.

The impedance curve of the FE167E is fairly benign with a 16 ohm peak around 50Hz, and a gradual rize from 8 to 16 ohm for the higher frequencies.
Using a tube amp with 8 ohm internal resistance, the result will be 3-4 dB higher signal where the speaker impedance is 16 ohm compared to the 8 ohm in the midrange.
The small rize in level at the highest frequecies may in fact be desirable with a FR driver.

SveinB.
Old 25th October 2007, 04:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I run the FE167E with a BSC of 1.5mH||6ohms. I do not use a zobel on either the FE167E or FE207E. If it is still too bright with you amp, try a zobel of 6.8uF=8ohms. If need be, use a bypass cap to bring the top back up.

Bob
Old 25th October 2007, 04:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input. I'll have to experiment with the recomendations.

Bob, do you know the FE167E's Le?

Hide this!Advertise here!