FE167E, Zobel and/or BSC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone recommend good Zobel and/or BSC circuits for this driver? It's in a BR box being driven by a low power Pentode amp that has a Zout of aprox 8ohms. So as you can imagine given the impedance curve of this driver. It starts to sound harsh in the upper-mid and the mid has a tendency to shout.

I've seen a few odds and ends of circuits for this driver, but for different circumstances.

Thanks!

Hmm, if the output impedance is indeed ~8 ohms, it 'sounds' like you need a larger box and/or tuned lower.

Yeah, that would be cool, but I purchased these ones pre built. The Mid bass is earth quaking though. Just kidding, it sounds ok down low.... for bookshelf sized speakers.

The problem I have for figuring the Zobel is that the inductance is not specified on the drivers data sheet.

I saw somewhere a guy is using a 8-10ohm with a 6.8uF cap. Can anyone verify these are the right values?

GM

Joined 2003
Well, you could tune it lower if it's vented or vent a sealed one. Anyway, just 'eyeballing' what 2*7.1 ohms (Re) is on the vague Fostex data sheet it calcs to ~8.9 ohms/5.6 uF cap, so now you have a range of caps to try. The resistor you can dial in by just measuring the coil's (Re) and multiplying it by 1.25.

GM

I do not think a zobel is going to do much to the "shouty" sound of the Fostex - with or without tube amplifier.

The Fostex tend to sound a bit shouty especially when new. A BSC filter and/or a notch filter will probably be required to balance the sound in a BR cabinet.

The impedance curve of the FE167E is fairly benign with a 16 ohm peak around 50Hz, and a gradual rize from 8 to 16 ohm for the higher frequencies.
Using a tube amp with 8 ohm internal resistance, the result will be 3-4 dB higher signal where the speaker impedance is 16 ohm compared to the 8 ohm in the midrange.
The small rize in level at the highest frequecies may in fact be desirable with a FR driver.

SveinB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.