Another "what to build" thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To sum it up... I'd like "Quad 57" like mids with the dynamics, bottom end and efficiency of a large horn. Upper end air of a fine ribbon. But then there's the budget.

I like everything I've read about the Super 12s. Wondering how close I can get with the 12lta "Afterburner" project. Thats about the limit of the budget.

Maybe a B20 in a large(ish) box with a PE buy out tweeter... who knows. Fall is here, I got to build something.

Any comments on the Super 12?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
danielm said:
Any comments on the Super 12?

I burned a really well built pair of Super 12 boxes last year this time...

My buddy Frank could never get his super 12s to sound satisfactory *and he spent a whack of money trying), and i got the discars after he resold the parts.

He replaced that with EdHorns (FE108S) which he was happier with, then Abbys, the FE206eSR.

I know of quite a few diys that willoutdun the 1st 2, and since he wants to hear what EnABL will do, we'll have the opportunity to compare the last 2 to Frugel-Horn and Fonken. That will be interestng,

dave

I can't help but think that the Fostex drivers would offer a bit more refined sound than the 12LT. Its hard to believe the 12" whizzer coned driver could be smooth in the upper mids although everything I've read about it seems contrary.

I guess I am looking for ratings of midrange quality and output level abilites of the following drivers.

Pioneer B20 (chosen for cost)
Beta 12LT (chosen for output abilities, cost, info I've read so far)
FE168 (seems to be a widely accepted FR driver)

All used with a helper tweeter as needed.

I don't mind a large box... up to the size of the super 12. No space for a 12LT BIB or OBs.

I listen to a lot of old stuff. CSN, Paul Simon and current Ben Harper, Umphreys McGee (up loud at times) material.

I use the B20 with planet10 phase plugs on small OB. Not gonna get you the bass you want, even with EQ, but you should look at the Change DBVR cabinet made for it. Add a little $4 Dayton dome on a cap up top and you're good to go. These things are smooth and easy to listen to, not to mention actually have some umph on the bottom.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.