Center Channel Full Ranger? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
dvarner is offline dvarner  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Center Channel Full Ranger?

Has anyone ever built a full range center channel, specifically one that is small enough to fit in the drawer-size aperatures? I have some Foxtex 208EZ's in a folded design that work really well, am hooked on the full-range concept and benefits.

Am looking for something that could fit in 22.5" wide x 18.5" deep x 5.5" high finished opening. Guessing this limits me to 4" units or less. Perhaps multiple drivers?

Thanks for your help,

DV
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:46 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You could fit an FE127 box in there...

dave

BTW. The correct transliteration of FE208e∑ is FE208eS (eZ is someone at Madisound not familiar with the Greek alphabet)
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:00 PM   #3
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I asked almost the same question a little while ago.

I received some good help here:
Centre speaker to match Fe207E Spawn BVR

should be exactly what you're looking for. I'm ashamed to say I havent even ordered the driver yet.
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Would it be possible to use one of the double horns on its side as a centre speaker, this could be discorporated into a TV stand also, and thus match the L & R channels better, and some smaller double horns for souround.
I am thinking of going this way if I get a living room big enough, say FE166's for souround and centre and FE207's for left and right
with possibly a shadow sd12 (or 2) for a bit of low frequency umph.
A class D or chip amp output AV reciever would possibly be acceptable to drive them.
One day.
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, you could do that easily enough. Don't forget FR units are quite directional so it'd depend on the unit as to how well it will perform, as obviously you'd be off-axis.
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:57 PM   #6
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Must re-think the centre, posibly along lines of the thread Mike has listed above. I have used the FE166's for film and must admit it quite good. My only real foray into Home Cinema in the last 10 years or so was a cheepo (about 300) all in one system that I won. We set it up and was initialy impressed, for about 2 films, then we all realised how fatiguing the sound was, boom boom bass, shrieking midrange. So my next foray into home cinema will be with some CC's for front L&R and the FE166's for rear, when I've got some room of course.
I presume the of axis is the reason they tend to use multiple drivers for the centre speaker.
Old 23rd October 2007, 05:04 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by marce
Must re-think the centre
As long as your speakers image well, and all the patrons of the home cinema are relatively in the sweet spot then to my mind a virtual centre works best.

Note that with digital TV something like a minimum of 4-5 screen heights is the recommended minimum viewing distance.

dave
Old 25th October 2007, 05:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default fostex confusion...

While the FE208eS might be the correct transliteration of "E" Sigma, the FE208ES is a different driver entirely...

so to cut back on confusion, perhaps I have always thought that the Z works for keeping things straight (or rather, properly crooked).

Clark
Old 25th October 2007, 06:25 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: fostex confusion...

Quote:
Originally posted by blumenco
the FE208ES is a different driver entirely...
Isn't that eS-R?

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 25th October 2007, 10:19 AM   #10
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

That photo shows the results of some serious spouse acceptance factor negotiations.
A huge rack of gear, big BLHs and a subwoofer, All covered liberally with frilly fluffy dolls, figurines and doilies.

Audio is ALL about compromises.

Love it.

Hide this!Advertise here!