Visaton B200+Eminence Beta 15=OB!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

After a lot of contemplation and buggin' people with various questions, a lot of blah blah...
Finally I did it. :)

Attachments

• ob-1.jpg
    ob-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4,390
It is basically a copy of Visaton No-Box Open Baffle. Just using an Eminence Beta 15 instead of Visaton BGS40.

I still can not comment on the sound, I am still connecting the wires...

There are no binding posts, I will solder the speaker cables (0.95 mm magnet wire) directly to speaker terminals. It is a biamped system.

Visaton B200 is driven by Pass Diy Zen V9 without feedback. Eminence is driven (temporarily) by a modified LM3886 amp. Preamplifier is a 6922 based tube buffer (Jfet CCS-ed cathode follower). Crossover: Visaton-180 Hz first order (or, just a cap). For the woofers, I am going to use a LR 4th order 110 Hz lowpass that is left from a project in the past. Gotta experiment here....

Attachments

• ob-2.jpg
    ob-2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,986
I'd like thank everyone here for motivating me to go OB route. Other people's projects (like Yunick's) have been an inspiration. Special thanks goes to Choky, Martin, and Nelson.

P.s. Nelson, I've been a good boy. I did my homeworks. Can I expect that :santa: will bring me a nice present? Oh, I just hear that :santa2: is far away so he won't be able to bring a tangible gift to my place. Ok, then, I would accept an intangible gift (like a schematic and/or an article), and I'd share it with everyone on Diyaudio...:spin: :cheerful:

Vix

Attachments

• ob-3.jpg
    ob-3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,559
Thanks Dave.

First impressions: Sound is huge, but it lacks body. Like some hollow ghost through the whole room. It was with the crossovers as I described. Then I disconnect the bass speakers, and run the Visatons fullrange. Better. I like it more this way. 1st and 4th order crossovers do not integrate well. I am even thinking to try passive configuration, both 1st order...

I'll let you know how it sounds, a lot of experimentation to be done...

Regards,

Vix

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Vix said:
Thanks Dave.

First impressions: Sound is huge, but it lacks body. Like some hollow ghost through the whole room. It was with the crossovers as I described. Then I disconnect the bass speakers, and run the Visatons fullrange. Better. I like it more this way. 1st and 4th order crossovers do not integrate well. I am even thinking to try passive configuration, both 1st order...

I'll let you know how it sounds, a lot of experimentation to be done...

Regards,

Vix

learn from Yunick's example .......
anyway - it's hard to mix 1. and 4. order .
when you must mix orders, then you can somewhat easier mix 1. and 3. , 2. and 4th ........... so these parts have phase diff of 180degs

in Yunick's case - big one is crossed at 150Hz(180?) 6db/oct with Boucherot across terminals

smaller one is crossed intentionally at 350Hz 6db/oct

I know that I'm pooooooftaaaah ............ didn't make you these plugs ..... yet ......

:dead:

Hi,

I've been playing with some active crossovers yesterday. Integrating those drives is not as easy as I thought. I decided to run the Visaton only through 1st order, and then experiment with the bass crossover until I match them. First I tried 4th order. Disaster. Tried a 2nd order as well. A bit better, but not acceptable. What seemed to work best was an integrator. I used one half of this circuit:

http://sound.westhost.com/project48.htm

Crossed the Visaton very low,around 90 Hz. Then turned up the volume on the bass amp...Still, the most enjoyable was to listen Visatons alone, run fullrange...

I haven't tried passive crossovers yet. If I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Regards,

vix

Crossed the Visaton very low,around 90 Hz. Then turned up the volume on the bass amp...Still, the most enjoyable was to listen Visatons alone, run fullrange...

What do you mean with the last sentence ? That you were running the B200 really fullrange without crossover or with 90Hz crossover.

If you were running it without crossover and it did cope well regarding excursion then I might have a solution for you.

Regards

Charles

phase_accurate said:

What do you mean with the last sentence ? That you were running the B200 really fullrange without crossover or with 90Hz crossover.

If you were running it without crossover and it did cope well regarding excursion then I might have a solution for you.

Regards

Charles

I was not that clear in the previous post.

Visaton B200 is high-passed at 90Hz with a capacitor at the amplifier input.
Eminence Beta 15 is run through a separate amplifier through integrator circuit.
However, the purest sound is coming from Visaton B200 run fullrange (no high-pass) and the Eminence Beta 15 disconnected. On the downside, it is bit bass-light and the excursion on Visaton is higher than I'd like, so I didn't play it very loud.

Regards,

Vix

Choky,

One question: Can I make an active 1st order low pass at 150 Hz, then just up high pass to around 350 Hz. Biamp. Is it going to have the same (or better) effect than a passive crossover (as Yunick's)?

That' because I don't have large inductors handy, (but I have a spare amp) so it is more viable for me to try active variations...

Thanks

Vix

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Vix said:
Choky,

One question: Can I make an active 1st order low pass at 150 Hz, then just up high pass to around 350 Hz. Biamp. Is it going to have the same (or better) effect than a passive crossover (as Yunick's)?

That' because I don't have large inductors handy, (but I have a spare amp) so it is more viable for me to try active variations...

Thanks

Vix

yup

try flopping flipping phases on one of drivers ; that's because I don't know how each of your amps is phased on output,regarding to input

Vix,

my setup is similar to yours, I cross over at around 100Hz, fourth order LR on both sides, ie HP and LP using active Xover(tunable, analog Behringer Xover) . I don't use any cap at the Mid woofer in our case the B200.

I get good results, the setup is not ideal as yet, I need to tune it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.