Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 07:34 PM   #1
drwho is offline drwho  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Zigmahornet Plan

Hi,

I was wondering if someone here who has built the Zigmahornets could tell me what the measurements should be for the items that I have indicated with an arrow.

The plan that I got off this site is not very clear to me on this particular area.

Please let me know the measurements in inches.
I have attached a jpg image.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zigma 3.jpg (24.3 KB, 2390 views)
Old 19th October 2007, 08:04 PM   #2
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Zigmahornet Plan

thickness is 1/2", I built one a while ago, but can't read the numbers on the picture u uploaded.

If u can lable the arrows A, B, C, will also help and I should be able to give u the size measurement.

gychang
Old 19th October 2007, 08:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have attached another image to clarify the arrows which I put and are in black.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zigma 1aa.jpg (26.3 KB, 2227 views)
Old 19th October 2007, 10:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, the vertical line you indicate is just the total height, minus the 40mm for the vent and 100mm for the slope (it's a 45 degree angle, i.e. a square, so height X & y dimensions have to be identical). The depth of the vent is clearly marked (40mm), so nothing to worry about there. The horizontal arrow you've added doesn't appear to be going anywhere at present. You can make the base any size you feel like, even stick them on a sheet of 8' x 4'. It's not going to do anything to the design.
Old 20th October 2007, 03:57 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I added the dims in question to the drawing...

dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zigmahornet-191007.pdf (40.6 KB, 737 views)
Old 20th October 2007, 07:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dave, your pdf attachment clearly answers my question!
Much Appreciated.
Old 18th November 2007, 04:50 AM   #7
mluckow is offline mluckow  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need Merrill DCA4 drivers

A friend told me that he was building a pair of Zigmahornets and asked if I'd like to build a pair, too. I thought it would be fun, so we just started building them today.

However, I just heard from Dave Merrill that the DCA4 drivers are sold out. I also found out the the Fostex FE103E Sigma drivers are no longer being sold in Europe and Japan, and I heard that the regular FE103 drivers aren't very good.

So, would anyone out there happen to have a pair of Merrill DCA4 drivers that they're not planning to use? I'd be interested in buying them.

Or, would anyone happen to know another 4" FR driver that would be good for the Zigmahornet?

Thank you very much for your help!

Mike
Old 18th November 2007, 06:10 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Need Merrill DCA4 drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by mluckow
I also found out the the Fostex FE103E Sigma drivers are no longer being sold in Europe and Japan, and I heard that the regular FE103 drivers aren't very good.
The only FE103s you can buy new are FE103e. Try Madisound. For $7 more you can get FE127e.

dave
Old 19th November 2007, 07:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave!

Thank you very much for that information. I'd love to be able to use the FE127e, especially your modded version of it, but I'm afraid that it doesn't fit in the Zigmahornet enclosure. The inside width of the Zigmahornet is 96.65 mm, but the cutout for the FE127e is 103 mm.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be possible to cut out a couple channels in the sides to make room for this driver. I'd have to cut out channels or curves about 4 - 5 mm on each side to give a little clearance between the magnet and the sides. Do you think that would be a good idea? (FYI, the plywood is 12 mm thick.)

Also, are the other parameters of the FE127e driver appropriate for the Zigmahornet? (I assume they are, otherwise you wouldn't have suggested it, but thought I'd better ask to be sure.) I noticed that the Vas is pretty different from the FE103.

Thank you very much for your help! I was so bummed when I found out that Dave Merrill's drivers are no longer available.

Mike
Old 19th November 2007, 08:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave again,

I was just looking at photos of the FE126e and FE127e, and I noticed that the magnet on the FE127e actually isn't near as wide as the one on the FE126e, even though they both have the same cutout (103 mm). It looks like the reason for the 103 mm cutout for the FE127e is the basket, not the magnet. Is that correct?

If that's the case, then there would be no need to cut channels in the wood sides to make it fit. I might just have to file off a little wood on the sides near the front baffle to get the basket to go in.

If so, it looks like it might work in the Zigmahornet enclosure, after all.

But I'm wondering if the parameters of the FE127e are appropriate for the Zigmahornet.

Thank you very much again!

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!