Zigmahornet Plan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished the zigmahornets. I'm an ok woodworker, and the project from start to first listen was about 5 hours for me. It took more time than that because glue needed to dry and such, but the box is really simple and easy. Especially if you have a table saw.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the zigmahornets. I think for the price they're pretty good, and they'll work fine in the future for surrounds for me, or maybe in the bedroom.

Positives: the imaging, the cabinet is attractive and wife-approved, the price.

Negatives: somewhere in the bottom of the mid range, or the upper end of the base, there's just something completely missing. I'm listening to rock music, and sure, it needs a sub, but short of that, there's something missing closer to the mid range. It also gets sloppy sounding at even a medium volume.

I'm trying to figure out how to improve them - maybe try the fostex driver? I am thinking to maybe experiment with different baffling.

I really like the full range speaker benefits, and so here I am making my first post in this forum as I start researching everyone else's projects. If you have any suggestions for a second project, I would appreciate it.

Requirements:
- the wife has to approve the design, so the crazy frugal-horns for instance fail the wife-vote.
- the box can be complex. None of the box designs scare me.
- I'm going to make a sub soon that I expect to play along with whatever I make next

I really like the imaging of the zigmahornets. I'd like to make something that has that level of imaging, but better overall performance.

hello,

so, what do you think about the frugal-horn?

http://www.frugal-horn.com/Frugel-Horn.html
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Frugel-Horn-v1-maps-130307.pdf

or ron's a126a
http://www.frugal-horn.com/ronhorns.html
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/RonHorn-A126-plans260207.pdf

but don't forget that we are talking about small drivers herer; these 4" fostex drivers are never going to be able to move enough air to play rock well imho :whazzat:. let them do what they can do, and for everything else, get something else :bigeyes: :D.

sincerely
mike :angel:

Naturally there's something missing in the lower mids. There's a 10db hole in the Zigmahornet response 100Hz wide & centred at ~275Hz. This will be audible. ;) (see attached 1/2 space plot). There's not a whole lot you can do about it either. You could stuff the pipe to ~aperiodic levels for an acceptably flat response, but you would have no LF gain at all (not that it has much to start with), so woofers would be mandatory. The -3db point due to step loss is at 960Hz, so 6db of correction is really required whatever you do, although you might get away with less if they are rammed into corners.

Attachments

• zig.gif
    zig.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 403
mostlyrandom,

I suggest looking at Metronomes. I built a pair of Mets w/ Fostex FE108eSigma drivers. They don't need stands, take up very little floor space, and have high WAF (based on my wife, relatives and friends.) And as for sound: I believe they will walk all over the Zigmahornets. :devilr: (But you may want a sub if you are hoping for response below 40 Hz.)

Cheers, Jim

Jim Shearer said:
mostlyrandom,

I suggest looking at Metronomes. I built a pair of Mets w/ Fostex FE108eSigma drivers. They don't need stands, take up very little floor space, and have high WAF (based on my wife, relatives and friends.) And as for sound: I believe they will walk all over the Zigmahornets. :devilr: (But you may want a sub if you are hoping for response below 40 Hz.)

Cheers, Jim

second that - on all counts, except maybe for a pair of powered woofers with a slightly higher XO point

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I really appreciate the advice.

Looks like from private messages and this forum that there are two suggested paths to go. One is the fonken plans, shown on planet10, and the other is the metronomes. I might try both. :)

Does anyone have experience with the fonken plans they'd want to share?

Thanks for the help everyone.

john

If you're referring to what is now labeled Fonken-Prime - take it from someone who has, I dare say, built more Fonken speakers than anyone, this is not a particularly quick or easy build.

The Floorstander version is much simpler, and delivers at least 90% of the performance, and doesn't need stands.

Regardless of which design you ultimately select, the strongest recommendation I can make is to not use MDF. Baltic Birch or equivalent mult-ply, or even solid pine (if you're confident in your joinery) would be preferable.

Bear in mind that for larger rooms, higher volumes, etc. any of the enclosures/drivers under discussion will benefit tremendously from multiple powered woofers ( i.e. at least 2)

I guess I really should get around to a pair of 'nomes, and iBIBks, and NP OBs, and .... what else is on that list?

I was in the same place a few weeks ago that you are now. Though I do have the benefit of some basic wood working skills.

The FE127 is a wonderful driver and are impressive in the Zigmahornets I just completed, but if I had it to do over again (and I do and I will :) ) I would build a pair of Metronome's for them. As someone else put it, they are just as easy to build and just require different approach with the straightedge. The Met's, and the several other more recent DIY designs have the benefit of having been opimized for the driver's particular characteristics.

Hello. I wake up this old topic in hope to have an answer. I have the same project as you, to make 4 zigmahornet with fe127 (ff125 in fact and zigma are a WAF reason). Made you some enclosure modifications ?
Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.