Zigmahornet Plan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: So much writing about nothing

limono said:
So , I built Merril Zigmahornet .It's better than boombox; that's about all I can say. For high school budget may be OK but if one can afford Costco speakers I don't see a point.

Gee, I guess the point of a "DIY" forum would be the discussion of projects that one could build themselves, as opposed to buying something mass produced and marketed at the local "Buy More".

No piece of audio gear will be right for everybody, speakers like the Zigmahornets are certainly on that list, but there are lots of folks with more than a "high school budget" who are quite happy to include them in their collection.

I got a chance to hear them at this year's VSAC, and while bass, massive scale and very loud aren't among the things they do quite well (fans of Wagnerian opera or pipe organ need not apply), they are certainly intriguing enough to be on my ever growing list of "what the heck, I'll never know 'til I try" projects.

limono said:
So , I built Merril Zigmahornet .It's better than boombox; that's about all I can say. For high school budget may be OK but if one can afford Costco speakers I don't see a point.

I heard these at Vsac, and my impressions were far more positive than yours. While they may not be the most refined TL design, they certainly sound a lot better than a 'boombox' or 'costco' speaker.

I have a pair in finishing phases at the moment, and am quite certain they'll find use somewhere. If nothing else, they're a convenient form-factor for surrounds.

limono said:

To each his own, as they say...

I have a pair of Zigi's and I most certainly do "see a point". But then my taste in program material probably benefits from parameters which are a marked departure from Costco speakers. Nothing ever sold by Costco images like these speakers do. Indeed, there are relatively few speaker designs that even come close.

On the other hand, they suck at reproducing ACDC. Good think I wasn't foolish enough to expect that they wouldn't. I might have thought my money better spent at Costco.

Imaging is all about being able to place, aurally, a particular instrument or artist within the soundstage. All too often, one hears guitars that are 6 feet high and 10 feet wide, piano riffs that wander from side to side across the room, or vocals that are little more than a large disembodied voice. That's what imaging is not. If you can close your eyes and point out the location of each instrument or vocalist in a recording, you have good imaging. This depends on several things of course, not just the speakers.

Built one speaker

Well, as "easy" as the zigmahornets are to build, they were REALLY hard for me! Learned a ton about working with wood though.

Very sad thing though is that I struggled with the top "trangle" part and finally gave up and cut it off despite all warnings. I thought if it made a difference it would be very minor.

Well, I have one speaker finished and I just don't hear any bass. None. I'm listening to Jazz, trying to hear the plucking of the bass that I hear nice and loud in my 25 year old Technic three way speakers... I can hear it but very dim.

Is it because I lost the top triangle.. or should I have expected the bass to be this minimal?

Akash

I don't think triangle would help. Did you make the cab go up all the way or cut it of on the lower edge (begining of slope) ?.
Anyway this speaker is a 70Hz tuned pipe with 4" driver with minimal excursion . Everything below 150-100Hz is going to be a sonic mud ,no matter what driver will you use . Sub should help a lot. Regards, L

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 529
Re: phew

kumaraka said:
Well that makes me feel better! Thanks.

Yeah.. I wonder if I could hack the cross over off of the three way speaker and use the ziggies for the tweeter and the technics for woofer...

ahh.. living on a budget.

not likely a great way to "improve" things here - the XO values for the tweeter on a 3-way would probably leave a gigantic hole in the midrange, which is exactly where the Ziggies could be expected to excel.

While the sonically better alternative would be a ( pair of) cheap powered sub(s) with high level passive XO - as that would allow for easy level matching - the most frugal solution would be to modify the Technic's XO to a 2 way (circa 100-120) , and of course disconnect the mids and tweets.

Try local flea markets and Craigslist .I often see dirty cheap HT setups /subwoofers etc.
Damn if I wasn't such a blody idiot buying expensive drivers inevitably ending up on the shelf I could assemble perfectly satisfying system for $100 and spend remaining $$$ on women and whisky trough all those years. (althoug older I get more often hearing great system seems to crank me more than sex ;)
Good luck

limono said:
Try local flea markets and Craigslist .I often see dirty cheap HT setups /subwoofers etc.
Damn if I wasn't such a blody idiot buying expensive drivers inevitably ending up on the shelf I could assemble perfectly satisfying system for $100 and spend remaining $$$ on women and whisky trough all those years. (althoug older I get more often hearing great system seems to crank me more than sex ;)
Good luck

well, if you try the little blue pills, you can enjoy the best of both worlds

or so my e-mail keeps telling me

of course this is a DIY forum so any job worth doing, is worth doing yourself?

Well , its time for you to read a little more about the speakers and how they are built/work. Let the Technics be .If it's midrange is the same size as your zigma woofer you may try to swap it (if impedance of both matches) maybe you like it better that way. This is a less bright side of DIY -you never now what you're going to get (well, to the extent) with unfamiliar projects. My advice is-
experiment a little (if you have time and inclination) and sell the drivers with little loss (Zigma project has quite a following). Look carefully around and buy some used speakers .
Good Luck & regards, L

kumaraka said:
The middle sized driver on the 3 way is the same size as my DCA driver. Can I just disconnect that one and connect the wire that went to it to my zigmas? Doesn't that speaker do the mid range?

Akash

No. Size of driver is immaterial. This is a bit like the old adage -my dog has four legs. My cat has four legs... therefore my dog is a cat. If you want another analogy, a Lotus Europa had the engine from a Renault 16, but that didn't mean it was a Renault 16.

Unless you get very lucky, the drivers will have very different technical specs, motor power, sensitivity & behaviour, ergo the existing XO will be completely mis-matched. You can try it, but I wouldn't bet a brass farthing on it working out. Sorry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.