Possible to do a mini metronome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would be near field on the desk top as a computer speaker. Sub to reinforce the bottem end. The TB w3-871 or similiar such driver. I'm picturing a 20" to 24" tall cabinet, possibly bipole. Or would this simply be a bass reflex cabinet that is shaped like the metronome? I'm OK with that as I love the look of the metronome. If it doesn't function as the original was intended a shorter cabinet would suffice.

Just thoughts in my head right now. Thanks for the great forum and knowledgable members.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It will still be a Metronome. One dimension is significantly larger than the others.

Here is a cardboard Met i built for an unobtainium set of 3" TBs.

dave

Attachments

• cardboard-tb-metronomes.jpg
    cardboard-tb-metronomes.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 606
planet10 said:
It will still be a Metronome. One dimension is significantly larger than the others.

Here is a cardboard Met i built for an unobtainium set of 3" TBs.

dave

Dave,
I was wondering when you'd get around to using those ;)

If I had been quicker, those drivers would be in *MY* basement with all the others. I know that the cardboard is a little shy of Baltic Birch, but how do they sound?

For those that don't know, Dave has what I believe to be the only set of those "Special" HiEnd prototype drivers. They're almost too nice looking to actually use in a speaker.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TerryO said:
I was wondering when you'd get around to using those ;)

...but how do they sound?

They're almost too nice looking to actually use in a speaker.

I originally had them in some little perspex OBs... that didn't work out all that well.

Then i wanted to just get a visual on the Met shape... so i started thinking about drivers & a cardboard mockup. I settled on these superTBs.

I shoulda just let Chris make them out of 12mm ply -- it would have taken him less time than it took me to build the cardboard ones (they are double layer)

How do they sound... they show some potential, but turn them up a bit and grab the top, they feel like a vibrator... a bit big and not a very good shape to be useful at that.

As to their purpose. i love the look of the Met and at some point i'll get these recreated in ply....

Them, a T-amp of some sort, and an iPod & you have a nice little system that can be hauled out on the deck (or with a 12V battery pak, anywhere).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.