FE208ES-R experiencial exstacy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
has anyone else gotten a pair of these drivers? played with them in the d-58es-r cab? or anything else?

I played mine in the 206es-r and got a good idea of what they were capable of, but they need the wider and higher gain d-58es-r (or a variant) to become their total selves.

they are nice drivers. I think personally that they are if not the best than among the VERY SHORT list of the best full rangers ever made. they just sound good. balance is the key here. yup, show me some pics of larger mags, lighter cones and this and that. I doubt that they have the balance of this driver which is a true direct-radiator-which-does-the-horn-thing... not even fully broken in, they disappear in all senses.

not tissy like a lowther, but just good sounding. that said, I am keeping my mind open and my ears open even more always to great things.

the magnesium dome in the middle is probably the strongest reason I bought them. this makes them true full rangers. the dynamic force of fortissimo to pianissimo of this new cone material is another strong point compared to the E series fostex stuff. low bass comes out like a sonofabiatch.

with 45s? scary scary scary.

Though I am now selling speaker systems, etc. under the moniker:

www.blumenstein-ultra-fi.com

These specific drivers are strictly NFS. I need them for amp/component development over the coming years as they are politely but ruthlessly microscopic into the inner soul of anything in the signal chain.

I will quit making people drool now. I took the bite of the richest piece of meat from the carcass, without even bothering to ask anyone else if they wanted a nibble. Honestly, the purchase of these drivers is making me confront my affliction of true died in the wool audiophilism. in the sense that it is similar in the most disgusting sense to any other -philism, like the ones that are on the news all the time. there is no darned reason I need these things truely. there are starving and dying people out there. why did I greedily snap up something that will only change a few peoples minds in the world about what is possible from a stereo system? the few that are lucky enough to hear them. I feel slightly disgusted with myself.

I have made such beautiful sounding systems at a fraction of this parts cost. ones that also let me see god. why do I want to even further stimulate my nerve endings. it is not like my nerves are dull to feeling even the subtlest nuances at the age of only 24... am I trying to collide galaxies with the psycological power the combination of the 208es-r/45 amp combo is capable of eliciting? no. it is just a bunch of junk that will break one day. Why seek unattainable tube/single driver perfection so early on in my lifetime? Is this pearls before swine? am I worthy of this sound?

component development... thats right. in order to attract the opposite sex... I mean, hell, everyone is entitled to do that... let that wiley defensive selfish mechanism of reasoning myself out of guilt guide my ways. most people don't even think a tad about their impact upon themselves and others through their greed. at least I do think about that. yeah... and then I still go gourging myself and depriving others anyways..

I am no better than the greedy SOBs that kill for oil.

well, feeling like crap about myself, and uncertain about the legacy I am leaving, while simultaneously basking in beautiful tubes and tunes,

From walla walla, later dudes and dudettes.

Clark

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
These drivers were available from Madisound for well over a year before they sold out. I have two pairs. They are beautiful.

"Let he who doesn't ask have memories of not gettin' any!"

One pair is going into a pair of Sachico horns, the other pair is a spare set.

sources

EIFL got them for me a while back. it was difficult for him to attain. koji is a good man, but the availability of this driver was an uncertain process to say the least. i think he had to bend over backwards to get them for me back in june, now, I think the used market would be the only way. I had a -little- savings, just graduated from school, so I decided to get myself a graduation present.

at $1860, pr. when all was said and done, I was going for broke. I ate at local public functions and understanding and unsuspecting freinds' houses and rarely left the house for a few months after the charge went on my credit card bill.

But I knew I was getting a classic and just decided to bite the bullet. And considering the wacky fi stuff that is out there for 10000+/pr, I think of these things as a total steal.

fostex has immense engineering prowess and manufacturing facilities behind them in contrast to alot of the tiny driver manufacturers out there that distinguish themselves with exotic materials, without the exotic processing to back it up. basically, I see that as tossing in gold chains with mercedes emblems. yeah. it is a nice gold chain, but I don't need a gold chain. I want performance.

regarding high end drivers, some get er done, some don't, but most all of them get it done (if they even do) at a higher price than fostex.

that is not to knock the efforts, or the SQ in these exotic drivers from other manufacturers. it is just that I am an audio nutcase on a budget... with young ears. So most iterations of lowthers, etc. don't really appeal to me.

pictures? the ones I took got deleted somehow. it is easy enough to google

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...ESR_01.htm&prev=/search?q=208es-r+&hl=en&sa=G

The drivers are back in their boxes till I get a chance to make my own spin on the d-58es-r. I kept this project secret until I am not soo poor anymore that I would consider pawning them so that I could buy groceries, which is now. starting a small business is a sumbiatch.

to my knowledge only ~75 pairs were ever produced. I have not heard of many others outside of japan even getting a pair.

they are worth twice (or even more) than their sticker price. on second thought I will depart from my NFS standpoint. Ill sell em to somebody if they really want them for 30000 bucks. any takers? didn't think so...

Clark

yes. you think like a true business man.... the question is whether or not fostex wants to release them.

terry cain wanted to buy the lot of 166es-rs to shoehorn into a special box. not enough dough though...

yes, the 208es-r is a different beast than the 206es-r. not to be confused. while the whizzer on the 206 is probably one of the best I have ever heard, the lack of beaminess of the 208 (and the very nice treble energy) is welcome and appreciated. I hope that this is a direction fostex chooses to go in on a longer term basis.

dave, I think that our voices are being heard by fostex. I personally desire, for my own business and my own friends that they come out with a smaller full range special edition this year. I will buy a couple or three or four pairs, stick them into some special cabs, and get some folks listening to some real sweet tunes. If I had the dough I would buy a few dozen of them.

I personally am a big fan of the smaller drivers from fostex. the bigyins are great and all, but with any big driver, and especially a full ranger there is an inherent (and exponentially increasing as the size goes up) cost associated with the production of them. the little guys get people hooked/spread musical bliss to the masses. that is what I am all about.

we need to contact madisound and fostex with a barrage of a letter writing campaign. course, they have no doubt already engineered and decided upon the new model. when you are not the lead dog the view never changes, in a way. (though I feel that you yourself do a great job of putting your own spin on things from this factory, phase plug, open source cabinet style...)

I will be releasing one of my models as an open sourcer on this forum in a few weeks. FE103E BIB. I want it to be community designed and refined.

Clark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
blumenco said:
dave, I think that our voices are being heard by fostex. I personally desire, for my own business and my own friends that they come out with a smaller full range special edition this year. I will buy a couple or three or four pairs, stick them into some special cabs, and get some folks listening to some real sweet tunes. If I had the dough I would buy a few dozen of them.

I personally am a big fan of the smaller drivers from fostex.

If you hear about an FE128eS-R (or somesuch) do contact me in case i miss it... would you like to try one of my drivers? Just put the finishing touches on the FE127 & am verifying that the same works on the FE126 (contact me by mail)

dave

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
No bad thing, even if not quite to 208ES-R standards.

I was tempted to try and track them down, but while I'm crazy, I'm not THAT crazy. The 206ES-R's in the Sachiko cabinets are going to replace my Tannoy 15 DMT Mk2's, so I'll come out ahead on that one. I'm going to take the extra cash and build a couple of SET amps as well.

The OB speaker I built over the weekend has me totally stoked to build some more - I think my next is going to be the FE126 iBIB for a friend of mine. Then I think it'll be time to try and tackle the Sachiko.

:)

planet10 said:

If you hear about an FE128eS-R (or somesuch) do contact me in case i miss it...
dave

Ditto!!!!

p.s. please let me (and rest of us), know about it even if sold only in japan. i don't check eifl enough to find it and would hate to miss out on something like that. also as implied by "or somesuch", i'm interested if based on a 4" or 5" driver as well.
i seriously hope a "mover and shaker" at fostex reads of our request for these.

btw those 208es-r's you have are awesome! if i were able to handle the size and weight of an appropriate cabinet i too would've ordered 'em from japan. happy to know that someone here has a pair, enjoy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.