Half Chang build - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2011, 05:45 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scottmoose. I will take your word for it because I follow what everyone else is doing, you have great knowlege about this subject.
I was thinking of using a different material for the front baffle. 1/4" T6061 aluminum with some dampening material to control reflection on the inside and outside if needed. Cleat mount the front baffle for easy mods. I think the aluminum is much stiffer then ply. Back mount the speaker and cut a 1/4"bevel for the speaker. What do you think?
Peter C.
Old 26th August 2011, 06:47 PM   #522
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill23bay View Post
Thanks Scottmoose. I will take your word for it because I follow what everyone else is doing, you have great knowlege about this subject.
I was thinking of using a different material for the front baffle. 1/4" T6061 aluminum with some dampening material to control reflection on the inside and outside if needed. Cleat mount the front baffle for easy mods. I think the aluminum is much stiffer then ply. Back mount the speaker and cut a 1/4"bevel for the speaker. What do you think?
Peter C.

while not Scott, I'd opine that the aluminum would work very well as proposed and is thin enough that beveling would not be necessary
Old 26th August 2011, 06:54 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

I don't have any materials density charts etc. to hand with MOE values (what I had was on an old Zip disc, long since dead, along with the drive), but something like 12ga CRS would make a fantastic box, & I see no reason why aluminium should not do the same. Rings like a bell, but so far out of the box's functional BW it will be very easy to damp. Go for it.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 26th August 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:52 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Hello chrisb: The 6061 1/4" is nice stuff to work with. It can be cut with a circular saw with a carbide blade. The beveling is to make it look good.
Scottmoose: Thank you for the "Go for it"
-Rings like a bell, but so far out of the box's functional BW - Sorry, but I don't know what functional BW means.
I plan to use the brace and screw the aluminium to it with 1/32" black rubber between the brace and the baffle to act as a bit of a anti ringing system. I am still planning as I have other things to do, but the planning stage of this Chang is lots of fun. See what everyone is doing and using ideas to combine them into something what I will be proud to build.
Peter C.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:58 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Providing they are outside the cabinet's operating BW, it doesn't matter if the material has strong resonant modes, since there won't be anything to excite them.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:31 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

B-Band W-Width. Ok...let's get with Peter!
Old 27th August 2011, 01:00 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

1/4" 6061 is nice. Machines easily, takes as nice a finish as you want - from brushed to mirror. Not the cheapest stuff in the world. While other alloys are more expensive, 6061 will still make baltic birch look like a bargain.
Old 27th August 2011, 01:45 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

A 10" X 34" X 1/4" plate is 85 Canuk Bucks. The ply is, depends from where I buy it from, $80 to $120 4' X 8' X3/4" sheet in Toronto.

First I will make the cabs. without the baffle then take precise measurements of the opening to fit the baffle. I presion cut the plate to fit. In case of offsets. With cleat mounts I can change the baffle to other materials as suited.
Nice to see input!
Peter C.
Old 27th August 2011, 01:51 AM   #529
diyAudio Member

precision cut...spell check
Old 12th December 2011, 12:43 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

if using a 207 fostex speaker with a fostex FT17H tweeter, what sort of crossover is recommended to start at? 2uf?

Hide this!Advertise here!