Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 10:46 AM   #41
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I like the look, funnily enough I'm trying to achieve the same only opposite, black sides veneered front. Nice to see it in the flash so to speak.
Old 19th October 2007, 01:35 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Lovely work. I like the contrast from pale to dark.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobtrancho
As I suspected, gluing the final side tight and substituting the 4 ohm series resistor made a nice difference. I hooked up the Needles in their place today the difference was huge. Even my wife, who was a bit nervous about the increased size, came into the room and asked how long it would be before the "nice sounding" speakers would be back. The Needles were just too small for our space.

Old 19th October 2007, 01:48 PM   #43
Account Disabled

wow really awesome bobtrancho!
Emmm... sorry for my newbiness but what's the wool felt carpet?
Is something totally different from the acousta-stuff? or polyfill - polyester wool?
And where exactly did you added the cork?
Old 19th October 2007, 02:46 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

It's just woolen carpet underlay. Should be cheap and easy to get hold of from your local carpet peddler, so it's actually easier for many people to get hold of than Acousta-stuff or hollow-fibre stuffing. In the UK for example, both of the latter can be a pain to find locally, while you're tripping over carpet-sellers in most cities, and if you beg nicely, they'll often even let you raid off-cuts, or skip.

Underground, overground, wombling free...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _57443_orinoco300.jpg (16.8 KB, 2976 views)
Old 19th October 2007, 03:13 PM   #45
Account Disabled

haha! what's this?!
Old 19th October 2007, 03:40 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

A womble. Orinoco to be precise. Wombles are a curious species. In the UK, they live in burrows under Wimbledon Common, though are to be found all over the world, and generally recycle rubbish, unwanted items of all kinds etc.
Old 19th October 2007, 03:45 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

My local home center sells the wool (it's not really wool - some synthetic for sure) underlay for $2.50 a yard. I used less than 2 yards in these.

The cork is simple roll cork sold for making your own cork board or for gluing to a wall. It's 1/8" thick. It just didn't do the trick in taming the FE206's highs, though, so the wool felt went on top. The cork also costs 3x as much as the underlay.

I got the edging on today and now that I'm looking at the almost finished product I think that I'll try to keep the FE206 cones as close to natural as possible. With black phase plugs they complement the cabinets quite nicely. They'll pass WAF I'm sure.

Martin King and Jim Shearer are coming by a week from tomorrow to give them a listen. Martin is bringing is portable BSCs and Jim has kindly volunteered to bring his Metronomes! I might as well extend the invitation to anyone who lives in this general part of the world. If you are within driving distance of Saratoga Springs, New York and would like to come, just drop me an email and I'll send along directions.
Old 19th October 2007, 03:56 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Sounds like an interesting session. I forsee, in my best Nostrodamus fashion, the following results:

1) The 206s with or without BSC will blow both Needle & Metronome out of the room WRT bass power & SPLs.

2) The BSC circuit, which I suspect in this guise will also serve useful duty as a shelving filter, will tame the highs. You might loose a shade of detail due to the reduced efficiency with a low power amp, an SS amp of reasonable power won't care tuppence.

3) The Metronome will cream the 206 (which itself is no slouch) in imaging & midrange / treble detail.

4) A good time will be had by all.
Old 20th October 2007, 04:05 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default half chang

hi scott
i love the half chang desing for the fe206/207. i have fe168ez/fe206esr
that i would like to use in this style box. is this feasable. what dimensions would have to be changed or would i have to get new drivers that the box was desing for.
thank you
Old 20th October 2007, 05:55 PM   #50
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: half chang

Quote:
Originally posted by audioray
i have fe168ez/fe206esr
<rant> the transliteration for the Greek ∑ is S not Z*</rant>

The 206eSR may just needs a series resister to work in Chang, Curvy Chang or Half Chang. Chili Chang is designed (for FE167, just awaiting curved front from Ron. FE168e∑ (& 166) may work with series R.

Another driver not yet addressed is the FE126e.

dave

* i know its not your fault.

Hide this!Advertise here!