Half Chang build - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2007, 07:59 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on the sonics of the cabinet Martin...
Old 12th October 2007, 09:00 AM   #32
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They are looking good, the ebonised walnut sound nice, If you have a picture i'd apreciate a look.
Thanks for the initial write up on sound as I have no idea what the CC's are going to sound like.
My only reference is the FE166's in a Fostex BLH.
I had these about 3 months then I got a set of Dave's phase plugs. You will be surprised (very), I was shocked at the improvement, it was hard to believe until my missis back me up.
Before the phase plugs the FE166's sounded great compared to what I had before, after there was more bass (a suprise, until I found a thread that explained the effects, cant remember which one, its worth finding), but the main effect was mid range and treble, its hard to put into words, certain irritations that had been in the upper midrange were gone, but it wasn't untill they had gone that I didn't hear them! I hope you get the drift of my what I'm trying to describe, you will hear it.
Im now painting my horn mouths matt black after trying to get them shiney, nit recommended in the narrow space available.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:58 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Marce,

I'll be spraying the flat (actually "semi-flat") black. I had all sorts of trouble trying to paint on the MDF I used for the Needles and, like you, had to sand off more paint than I eventually applied. Once I switched over to aerosol spray (Krylon here in the US) I got a beautiful, even finish. Setting up for aerosol is a PITA (venting, dust control, blocking drift from landing all over the room, etc), but once done it is well worth the effort. The Krylon brand I use over here dries for recoat in 12 minutes so you can get 3-4 coats in a short time. Just be sure you do it outside or have good venting and a mask as the fumes are very strong and lingering.

BTW, I found spackle (dry wall compound) to be the best for sealing cracks with the MDF. I tested it along with carpenter's putty and latex painter's caulk before using it. You have to really be looking to see the seams where the pieces butt on my Needles.

Hope this helps...
Old 12th October 2007, 10:07 AM   #34
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cheers, I'll have a look round the hardware stores this afternoon,
again last night once I'd finished sanding I was back to almost undercoat again.
Old 12th October 2007, 05:07 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bobtrancho
BTW, I found spackle (dry wall compound) to be the best for sealing cracks with the MDF. I tested it along with carpenter's putty and latex painter's caulk before using it. You have to really be looking to see the seams where the pieces butt on my Needles.
Polyfilla (aka Spackle) is is water based (not something MDF likes) and not as tough as bondo (car patching material). This is what they use in Chris' shop for filling.

dave
Old 13th October 2007, 09:07 AM   #36
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Polyfilla (aka Spackle) is is water based (not something MDF likes) and not as tough as bondo (car patching material). This is what they use in Chris' shop for filling.

dave
Bondo can also be used with different color hardeners for an extremely attractive finish when topped off with an application of a clearcoat.

Remember, "Nothing, absolutely nothing, in this World says DIY like Bondo!"

If you like to really show off, copy some formulas from an Advanced Physics textbook in colored fine tip pens on different areas adjacent to the Bondo prior to the clearcoat. Most people won't have any idea what they mean, and if (horror of horrors!) you actually run into somebody that does know, you can just explain that those formulas are there to remind you, in a vague way, of a happier, more productive time of your life before the terrible accident and the lengthy recovery period.
It's considered very mature to decline to talk about it further, as one must look to the future and move on without dwelling on what had promised to be a distinguished future.

Warning, if you're married, read no further!

For you young single guys, if the person asking happens to be an attractive female, I suppose then it's OK to mention that the accident was (evidently) caused by being momentarily distracted by a School Bus, full of Kindergarten kids, plunging over the bank into the river. Although you have no memory of it, witnesses later claimed you were able to get all of the children out of the sinking bus before the loss of blood from the accident caused you to pass out.

"But enough about me, do you like music?"

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 13th October 2007, 05:56 PM   #37
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

Bloody brilliant Terry
Old 16th October 2007, 02:35 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Love where this build is going - great craftsmanship. Saying that - your Needles were gorgeous as well. I was thinking of doing the same type of treatment your needles had, but a very glossy automotive type middle - then wood edges.

But we'll see - I'm currently trying to figure out which my first build will be.

Looking forward to updates, sound impressions and the final finished product!
Old 16th October 2007, 03:15 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quick update -

I added "wool" felt carpet underlay as damping as per Scottmoose's recommendation; damped the FE206's with duct seal; grounded the negative terminal to the frame; added felt to the rear of the magnet and cork around its circumference; and yesterday performed the dustcapectomy and phase plug installation. Each of these has progressively brought the HF under control.

If the 4 ohm Mills resistors arrive today, as expect they will, I'll add them and then fit and glue the final side. 3 clamps per speaker is not the ideal for assessing SQ and I suspect I'll get some overall improvement once the last side is properly fitted and glued in place.

Getting the clamps off the boxes will also allow me to better position them. Once that is done I will be inviting MJK and Jim Shearer over for a listen. Martin has offered to bring along his portable BSC circuit and we may play with that, also. More than his BSC, I'm looking forward to his more experienced ears.

I shoot some more photos once the glue is dry.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:24 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Step one in the finishing. The sides and front plywood edges were masked off and two coats of primer and three coats of semi-flat were sprayed on.

Click the image to open in full size.

I hope to get to the edge banding tomorrow or over the weekend.

As I suspected, gluing the final side tight and substituting the 4 ohm series resistor made a nice difference. I hooked up the Needles in their place today the difference was huge. Even my wife, who was a bit nervous about the increased size, came into the room and asked how long it would be before the "nice sounding" speakers would be back. The Needles were just too small for our space.

Hide this!Advertise here!