Half Chang build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lovely work. I like the contrast from pale to dark.

bobtrancho said:
As I suspected, gluing the final side tight and substituting the 4 ohm series resistor made a nice difference. I hooked up the Needles in their place today the difference was huge. Even my wife, who was a bit nervous about the increased size, came into the room and asked how long it would be before the "nice sounding" speakers would be back. The Needles were just too small for our space.

:D

It's just woolen carpet underlay. Should be cheap and easy to get hold of from your local carpet peddler, so it's actually easier for many people to get hold of than Acousta-stuff or hollow-fibre stuffing. In the UK for example, both of the latter can be a pain to find locally, while you're tripping over carpet-sellers in most cities, and if you beg nicely, they'll often even let you raid off-cuts, or skip.

Underground, overground, wombling free...

Attachments

• _57443_orinoco300.jpg
    _57443_orinoco300.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 3,330
My local home center sells the wool (it's not really wool - some synthetic for sure) underlay for $2.50 a yard. I used less than 2 yards in these.

The cork is simple roll cork sold for making your own cork board or for gluing to a wall. It's 1/8" thick. It just didn't do the trick in taming the FE206's highs, though, so the wool felt went on top. The cork also costs 3x as much as the underlay.

I got the edging on today and now that I'm looking at the almost finished product I think that I'll try to keep the FE206 cones as close to natural as possible. With black phase plugs they complement the cabinets quite nicely. They'll pass WAF I'm sure.

Martin King and Jim Shearer are coming by a week from tomorrow to give them a listen. Martin is bringing is portable BSCs and Jim has kindly volunteered to bring his Metronomes! I might as well extend the invitation to anyone who lives in this general part of the world. If you are within driving distance of Saratoga Springs, New York and would like to come, just drop me an email and I'll send along directions.

Sounds like an interesting session. I forsee, in my best Nostrodamus fashion, the following results:

1) The 206s with or without BSC will blow both Needle & Metronome out of the room WRT bass power & SPLs.

2) The BSC circuit, which I suspect in this guise will also serve useful duty as a shelving filter, will tame the highs. You might loose a shade of detail due to the reduced efficiency with a low power amp, an SS amp of reasonable power won't care tuppence.

3) The Metronome will cream the 206 (which itself is no slouch) in imaging & midrange / treble detail.

4) A good time will be had by all. :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: half chang

audioray said:
i have fe168ez/fe206esr

<rant> the transliteration for the Greek ∑ is S not Z*</rant>

The 206eSR may just needs a series resister to work in Chang, Curvy Chang or Half Chang. Chili Chang is designed (for FE167, just awaiting curved front from Ron. FE168e∑ (& 166) may work with series R.

Another driver not yet addressed is the FE126e.

dave

* i know its not your fault.

Re: Re: half chang

planet10 said:

Another driver not yet addressed is the FE126e.

dave

* i know its not your fault.

If you are thinking of a Suzy or Half Chang for the FE126, I am eager to get the dimensions! I am thinking of building a pair of speakers for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas, and a Suzy Chang seems just about perfect. (Aternate idea is a bi-pole Metronome w/ FE126, but it's less desirable due to stability concerns and their toddlers.)

So: Please, Please, Please do the Suzy C for the FE126!

Cheers, Jim

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: half chang

Jim Shearer said:
So: Please, Please, Please do the Suzy C for the FE126!

When he can sneak it in amongst his thesis work, Scott has a big list of drivers (and he is still generating them faster than i can draw them :)). The Chang familiy is going to be BIG.

The Chang family really exemplifies previously unexplored space that has been opened up to exploration by Martin's software and a confluence of ideas from all over. The original BVR idea from GM, its implementation in the Replikons, Terry Cain's double mouth horns, the Frugel-Horn inspiring Scott to explore double mouth concepts that lead to Harvey, Bruce & Iris. The work to discover how the BIB works leading to openess to explore the Nagaoka-style horns (Mikasa, Hiro, & Sachiko), the Fonken (the contributor of the high aspect slots*), and chance... all this sitting as a back-ground for a quest from left-field to find a home for some WR125s which lead to the 1st Changs, the Calhoun, then Shadow. Scott has taken the concept far enuff into unexplored territory that i'm now calling the cabinet style Moose BVRs in honour of the work Scott has done. Ron's contribution also has to be noted... the curved mouth 1st seen on the Austins and then the Frugel-horn have found application in the tall ones, hopefully he will find enuff time to optimize this for the boxes that can take advantage (Chang, Chili Chang, Maria Chang...)

* the 2 latest Changs for the FE127 (still text in an email) are both directly based on the Classic GR Fonken & the Floorstander Fonken.

Not much harder than a typical BR, but without most of its drawbacks (ie tuning changes as you turn up the wick) and the cosmetics of a horn.

dave

PS: a substantially reworking of the Spawn pages is underway

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...;)

The Half Changs are 99.5% done in the cabinet department. Just a light going over with an abrasive pad and a couple of coats of Butcher's Wax and they are done.

The Needles suddenly have big brothers:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another view:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

3" vs 8" drivers

I've got then hooked up temporarily with the 4 ohm series resistor appended outside the cabinet so that we can attach Martin's BSC soon without it in the loop. Once I make some final decisions about that all will be soldered in place.

Right now I'm really loving the sound. Still just a bit bright but that may just be my tinnitus reacting and/or my living room which is pretty "live" with all the wood flooring. The LF is very good. Playing the Modern Jazz Quartet's "Blues in A Minor" - listening to Percy Heath's bass solo was like hearing it for the first time. Now I'll fiddle with placement. I'll post more about they they sound after I get together with Jim & Martin and get their impressions.

Hi Bob!
Tell your wife that you miss some nice carpet on the floor. Will make an improvement if placed in front of the speakers.

It does not work at our home anymore, she has learned my tricks by now. :angel:
"O'yeah, what are you up with now, dear? New speakers, better sound?"

Nice combination of colours!

Peter

It would be criminal to cover that floor up. It looks stunning. I suspect if you're still finding the 206s a bit bright, even with phase-plugs, Martin's BSC shelving filter will be just the ticket. EnABL might well help as well -it's an interesting treatment, and I don't doubt that it works, though I suspect the degree of audible differences will vary somewhat with the driver. My suspicion is that it should do well with the 206. I believe Dave's now applied it to good results with the 207 (same cone).

Those cabinets are coming on really well -impressed. :)

planet10 said:
It could have gotten a little closer if massa had crashed out at the lat minute... 110 Finland, 109 England, 109 Spain ....

It was Hamilton's to loose and he succeeded. Not bad for a 22 year old rookie thou.

Yep. Still, I think he can walk away a very happy man. Who, at the start of the season, would have thought someone could have got that close in his first year? Amazing. That lad is going to go far. It was his car dying for 40 seconds on lap 7 that really did for him -ironic considering how bullet-proof it's been all season.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.