Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 07:45 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bobtrancho
Once Dave's phase plugs arrive they'll go back into surgery.
They started on their journey Tuesday (Monday was Thanksgiving)

dave
Old 10th October 2007, 10:22 PM   #12
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobtrancho
Once Dave's phase plugs arrive they'll go back into surgery.
Don't cut that bit of mesh in the dust cap, it spreads fibres everywhere. The mesh is just over twice the size of the hole in the dust cap. About 5/8
Play them loud while leaning forwards to shake any bits out.
Old 10th October 2007, 10:30 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
Play them loud while leaning forwards to shake any bits out.
I usually play them face down (with one edge propped up) for a couple hours after a dustcapectomy.

dave
Old 11th October 2007, 01:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the heads up Dave and for the dustcapectomy tips. I'll let you know how the patient fares after the transplant arrives.

I'll have more pics tomorrow but the 45 horn piece is cut and glued and (if I do say so myself) it came out fine. I'll need to do just a bit of caulking before painting but I nailed the angles. It's vital to keep everything square as you cut and then glue up. If you don't check square after each clamp it's easy to be off by a degree or two and when you're fitting a final piece that has to meet two 45 angles and two right angles just so in order to look good cumulative error can be a real bummer.

The initial damping is done and I'll wire up the drivers and resistors tomorrow, then clamp on the other side and give it a listen.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Forgive me for being slow, but what the heck is a Chang? Could someone link me to the design? A forum search turned up precious little.
Old 11th October 2007, 06:44 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.

It actually started before this 1st link (buried in a thread on something else)

Scottmoose and planet10, this is for us - the Calhoun.

Pioneer 8" build, the Chang variant

Curvy Chang thread

Suzy Chang - Here it is...

plans

http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn.html
http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/...map-140807.pdf

dave
Old 11th October 2007, 02:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Drivers temporarily wired and sides clamped on.

Click the image to open in full size.

Down in my basement the LF if great - if it carries over to the living room I can retire the old sub I've been using with the Needles. Of course, with all that concrete the HF tends towards ear bleeding with some music so, again, the living room is the real test. I think I may need to adjust the damping, though. I used 1/8" cork on the top, rear, bottom and one side, with 1/2" of dacron poly batting over the braces. We'll see what the living room tells me.

I'll move them upstairs later later and hook them up to the Amp10 with proper speaker cable and give them a go.
Old 11th October 2007, 02:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Nice...

You know, seeing the first pair of these boxes, completed, really underlines what Jeff ('Zilla) was saying earlier about appearances. Attached is a shot of the LothX Polaris (AFAIK the company is now defunct) that sold for ~4,700UK a couple of years back.
Attached Images
File Type: gif polaris-big.gif (39.2 KB, 6486 views)
Old 11th October 2007, 04:13 PM   #19
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi the Half Changs look very nice. Love the maple look, I am getting jealus looking at all the nice ply cabs, I think the extra money is well spent and saves time at the finishing stage, and when compared to the cost of veneer or even decent paint works out cheeper.
Just looked the LothX Polaris, first site I found said 5,990 wow!
http://www.eminentaudio.co.uk/Fronti...FI+Polaris.htm
Its quite frightening the cost of the comercial stuff, but nice to have somthing to compare our builds against, on the cost stakes, but 6 grand for a speaker.
Old 11th October 2007, 04:24 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I hope mine turn out looking that good. Right now I'm planning on applying edge banding to the exposed ply edges in the front and simply using rub-in polyurethane for the the finish for those edges and the side and back.

The horn opening and interior will be flat black and the baffle is up in the air.

I have two ideas about the baffle - (1) simply paint flat/semi black or (2) apply 1/8" thin stock (ebonized walnut?) from the top down about 2/3 (20" or so), between the edge banding, beveled at the periphery.

Option (2) serves another purpose in addition to the aesthetic - it effectively flush mounts the drivers. The only reason I'm holding off on (2) us that my local supplier of hardwoods doesn't have a good selection of thin stock right now. If I did this I'd want to use two vertical pieces per baffle, book matched if possible. So I'll most likely go with the plain black and then add the wood later when it's available (or maybe use 1/8" hardboard and veneer). But I'm way ahead of myself here. Gotta go haul them up the stairs for a more critical listening.

Hide this!Advertise here!