The elusive Horn...can I have it all?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have built nearly every possible enclosure, or have atleast heard a good example of it.... Except...

Horns, specifically BLHs. I'll cut straight to the chase. I don't want to deal with a sub anymore, but I want most of the low frequency response to be in tact (IE as low as I can go). I was looking at the pioneer B20, or another 8 inch FR driver in that price range. Doesn't matter how much wood is used so long as I can use 2x4 feet project sheets as I don't have a truck right now. Complexity isn't too much of an issue either so long as I can use a table saw to do all the cuts.

What I am looking for is full range response from 20(30)HZ-20K. A helper tweeter will be used to fill in the upper octaves. I have about 15-20 watts to work with. Also, currently my room is too small to support anything under rouughly 30hz, but I want a response lower than that for headroom when I move into a larger space...

Is it possible? If you have any other suggestions for drivers, Im trying to keep the costs of drivers ~60 plus the cost of tweeters, so anything with an efficiency of 90db or more I can work with...

Thanks for any help or responses :)

-Serg

Scottmoose said:
A BIB pipe-horn with an 8in driver like the B20 should do the trick. Small is not a word that immediately springs to mind with this cabinet though.
That was my first option, but the problem (which I forgot to mention) is that I usually don't have corners to work with, not to mention I want to keep it relatively short. Which is why the Suzy chang caught my interest.

One alternative I thought of is building a BIB with two folds instead of one and either floor loading it or firing it towards the wall...

Would folding BIBs with two folds give a noticeable drop in performance? I may just do that...It doesn't have to be small just short :D

Edit: I don't have to have response that low, because I know the real world is not perfect, just want to get as close as possible, maybe when I move in to my house I will have corners :)

Fast1one said:
Its so easy to build a chimp can do it, of course I always wanted to build a BLH :) But we can't always get what we want...

Oook. Gibber. Scratch. etc. :D

In that case, I'd forget trying to go for 30Hz or lower. Go for 40Hz (which is as low as acoustic instruments, pipe-organs aside, go), and then add a couple of subs at a later date. If the box gets a little below 40 as is, bonus.

planet10 said:

Suzy Chang is for FE107 (FE103). Half Chang is for B20.

dave
Meant Half Chang :D

Circlomanen said:
The Decware Imperial with a B&C 15CX40???

Big BLH/BVR

15 Inch coaxial

If you will use a tweeter with a Fostex, you can just as well have the tweeter i the center of the bass-cone.
Way too much for me! I don't want to make my head explode, but thanks for the suggestion...Maybe just that speaker in a Bass reflex :D

loninappleton said:
With all the qualifiers (as Scott said) I'd take a look at the Metronome

or Frugal. A recent build in the Frugal thread shows a setup that's
not near the wall and has the helper baffle flat against the wall.

You can't beat the Metronome for elegance.
Thanks for those suggestions! I will look into them...

If I can find a larger coaxial type driver, bigger than the pioneer, a simple bass reflex may be in order :)

Thank you for all suggestions and thoughts, off to do more research

Cheers,
Serg

Fast1one said:
Meant Half Chang :D

Way too much for me! I don't want to make my head explode, but thanks for the suggestion...Maybe just that speaker in a Bass reflex :D

Thanks for those suggestions! I will look into them...

If I can find a larger coaxial type driver, bigger than the pioneer, a simple bass reflex may be in order :)

Thank you for all suggestions and thoughts, off to do more research

Cheers,
Serg

Just one more for the standard BR build:

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/Hammer.html

More info at the Full Range Driver forum and

google > Hammer Dynamics for product info.

The Hammer 12 is legendary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.