TABAQ bipoles almost finished.... bonehead mistake :P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, just about finished my bi-TABAQS using 4 TangBand 3 inch drivers. I'll be posting pictures and graphs this week.

Only problem is my own stupidity... While building the speakers, I decided to offset the drivers 1/6th of an inch to the side. While mounting the rear baffle on one of the speakers, without noticing, I put it on backwards! DOH! So now, I have one speaker with the 2 drivers off axis of one another! It was too late to do anything about it, I just hope it wont affect the sound all that much, we'll see soon enough...

The set-up will be:

QSC MX-700 amp
Behringer BFD pro
Sony Playstation SCPH-1000

P.S. This is my first full range project so be gentle :D

Thanks... I've had all the materials/drivers lying around so I thought I'd try something different. Total cost was 5 dollars for the polyfill, 10 for the finish :)

What kind of feedback can I expect from the mistake that I made?? I'm assuming since the drivers are facing opposite directions and are off by less than half an inch, it wont make any difference.... ?

Hoping tommorow I'll have the time to put the finishing touches on these.

Finally got these glued up, wired up and hooked up, and holy hell, I am blown away!!!!

Now before I go any further, I am not using any notch filters of any sort, I'm using a seperate Behringer equalizer. I'm also using a QSC pro amp with over 200 watts on tap to each driver. My listening room is also very small (10x12) so corner loading these helps tremendously.

These speaks sound absolutely fantastic. There's no stopping how low they can go, I honestly get usable bass down to 25hz! Top end is not too shabby as well, they roll off at around 16k, I've found it gives it a warmer sound that I enjoy. I had to attenuate the frequencies between 600-1K hz though by about 8Db. They were rather harsh in this area as was expected, a notch filter would do wonders here. These speakers have found a permanent place in my little room, replacing my samson montiors for subjective listening.

I'll snap some pictures and graphs shortly, I'm still trying to figure out how to graph the frequency curve. Any ideas on the easiest way? I have a Db meter ready.

O_ROD said:
Hey guys, just about finished my bi-TABAQS using 4 TangBand 3 inch drivers. I'll be posting pictures and graphs this week.

:D

what model of tangband are you using? I am thinking of using WS1337. Unfortunately,there is no distributor here in Australia transport cost to downunder is too expensive. The driver either is not cheap either.

These are the drivers here:

TangBand W3-665SC

Diaphram Material: Paper
Surround Material: Santoprene
Nominal Impedance: 8
DCR impedance: 6
Sensitivite 1W/1m 88dB
Frequency Response: 120Hz-20KHz
Free Air Resonance: 120Hz
Voice Coil Diameter: 20mm
Air gap Height: 4mm
Rated Power Input: 15W
Maximum Power Input: 30W
Force Factor, BL: 3.2TM
Magnet Weight: 120g (4oz)
Moving Mass: 1.45g
Suspension Compliance: 1106 MN^-1
Effective Piston Area: .0032 M^2
X-max: 1mm
Vas: 1.6L
Qts: 0.63
Qms: 6.88
Qes: 0.69

Pretty close to the w3 871's. If your looking for some nice budget 3" drivers, check these out:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-809

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.