Suzy Chang - Here it is...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the individual attention from Scott and Dave of aka planet10. I was looking for a cabinet for FE107E (similar to FE103, I think).

They did their magic and I followed the plan, and I built them (my brother-in-law is waiting for this set). I only had about 2 hours of listening with my new amp32. Sounds excellent, bass is definitely there.

Side by side with G Chang (non Curvey Chang), it is small. In a smaller room in a right decor, the speaker sounds clear and bass is extended. If u want a smaller cabinet and like the style, strongly recommended.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang

full-range speakers

that is beautiful work... wish I had 'em here to listen to. - I like fact the drivers are at about same height as a person sitting down... where's my table-saw, router etc. ... It reminds me of fact I need to finish a few projects. - thanks for the photos ! ... It helps to see how it's put together.

gychang, your work looks great, you don't seem to recoil from any challenge which is wonderfull and inspiring. I was just wondering if Suzy chang design could be applied to some other drivers. For example pioneer b20, fostex 167, 127,207. Does anyone have plans for such drivers or is it even possible? I know that on this forum the question "is it possible" is a dangerous one and that is why I like this forum and read it every day. Thanks guys.

nebojsa said:
gychang, your work looks great, you don't seem to recoil from any challenge which is wonderfull and inspiring. I was just wondering if Suzy chang design could be applied to some other drivers. For example pioneer b20, fostex 167, 127,207. Does anyone have plans for such drivers or is it even possible? I know that on this forum the question "is it possible" is a dangerous one and that is why I like this forum and read it every day. Thanks guys.

Nebojsa: You are in the right place. Pros have done most of hard work for us, and have to just "copy" their drawing onto wood.

Look here: http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn.html

Fob B20, G Chang cabinet is great with a cheap tweeter.

look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106799

These speakers get maximum bass from these speakers and look very nice.

gychang

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very cool!

Looks like Chang has sawdust fever - he just can't stop!!

So hows does this enclosure work? It looks like a small reflex box with a wide port. The port aims down on the "bass tobaggon" and is thus reinforced. Is that right? The space behind the angled down piece is just dead space, right?

The tapered space loads the bass port, bringing the bass up, yeah?

A buddy of mine is doing a similar thing, but using a steel sphere as the top chamber. Wonder how that would work out?

Dave, I am sorry if I was not clear in my original post, what I meant was that it would be nice if Suzy chang style or design could be made in different sizes to accomodate different drives. I understand that Suzy chang could not fit Pioneer 8inch speaker, but was wondering if someone would suggest perimeters for larger enclosures. Curvy chang just seems a bit on a larger side. Honestly I wish I had space to accomodate. Neverthless, the simplicity of Suzy chang style seems as well quite attractive.

It's a reflex slot-vent with massive end correction applied. Makes a useful stand & waveguide too.

Yes, a version for the B20 is possible. Just take the Chang cabinet, remove the upper vent, and double the depth of the slot-vent firing into the lower flare. If you feel like it, raise the driver so it's centre is 190mm down from the internal top. Remember to brace the reflex cabinet or you'll have vibration issues with the larger boxes.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Yes, a version for the B20 is possible. Just take the Chang cabinet, remove the upper vent, and double the depth of the slot-vent firing into the lower flare. If you feel like it, raise the driver so it's centre is 190mm down from the internal top.

Half-Chang?

Like this?

dave

Attachments

• half-chang-0v9.gif
    half-chang-0v9.gif
    19 KB · Views: 3,562
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.