Floor standing cabinet for FE207e+FT17H ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scottmoose said:
I'm not actually. But I've built four pairs in the past (at least) and I know a little about design. As you're planning on a tweeter, I'd probably stick with the 207. its a bit smoother too, although it doesn't have quite the detail of its stablemate.

To be frank, I am not quite sure which one should be better:

1) single FE206E
2) FE207e + FT17H

View?

Godzilla said:
nina, how tall do you want your cabinet to be?

Thanks,
Godzilla [/B]

Roughly ~ 80-90 mm at the speaker level directly to ear. I look for something that not so tall & can stand *very firmly* so it doesn't fall over my 1 year old kid //wink ... Any advice?

Any one ever try FE206E in Fostex's standard bass reflex?

Nina, I think you want a floorstanding speaker about 36 inches tall. When I converted 90mm to inches it came out to 3.54 inches. And you want to use the Fostex 206 or 207. If that’s the case I would recommend the following:

If you can go taller to about 47 inches you can use either of those drivers or even the cheaper Pioneer B20 (but this one will require a tweeter). All three drivers will work in the newly designed Half Chang. The Half Chang is about 47 inches tall.

See plans here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1313563&stamp=1191168822

Or you can build a 35 liter cabinet and port it with the 207e.
Or you can build the double bass reflex for the 207e.

Plans here:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/fostexdrivers/FE207E.pdf

Or you can build the 45 liter cabinet with the 206e. I would not recommend this option personally but I’m sure it sounds pretty decent.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/fostexdrivers/FE206E.pdf

I would choose the Half Chang because it can be used with other drivers and I think the design is modern and up to date. It was designed by Scottmoose. His designs have been consistently excellent. Or I would simply build the 35 liter bass reflex box but make it taller and slimmer. Just keep the port dimensions the same as in the plans. Up against the wall or in a corner this speaker should have nice bass.

I would choose the Fostex 207e as the driver. Others will have different opinions. Good luck!

Godzilla

Yes. I tried the 206E in a 45 litre bass reflex and it was very good. This is what spurred me on to make the 208 BLH cab for it.

If you build the 208 cabinet in birch ply, junior would have a little difficulty in pushing them over (they are said to weigh 10 stones each) but if farleys rusk are all their cracked up to be......

Thanks all for your suggestions!

Scottmoose said:
I'd use Martin's MLTL if you want a floorstander. Much, much better than the Fostex BR. Smoother response, greater LF extension, cleaner mids.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

This one looks simple but interesting. Also, pretty easy to mount the FT17H tweeter below the FE207E.

Seems the BSC circuit was designed in case using the FE207E alone. Do you know what change needed if I parallel the Fe207e with the FT17H?

Godzilla said:
Nina, I think you want a floorstanding speaker about 36 inches tall. ...
Godzilla

Yor're correct. It's ~90 cm. Thanks a lot for your suggestion,

No, the circuit applies to both the 206 & 207 (more so the former actually) as indicated on the page: http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/BSC_Circuit.pdf

The MLTL should provide a substantially more accurate presentation than the BR cabinet, which might be fun for a little while, but it's inaccuracies (rapidly rolled off LF, with a sudden peak at cut-off) will become tiring in the long term. The lack of correction for the BR box will also make it a much brighter sounding box.

Scottmoose said:
I'd use Martin's MLTL if you want a floorstander. Much, much better than the Fostex BR. Smoother response, greater LF extension, cleaner mids.

@Godzilla:
Scottmoose is right...teh LF of the MLTL is great, but i had a big hole in the higher bass (somewhere between 80 and 150hz)...maybe it's because of the room, I don't know.

@nina:
I use a 35l BR not the DBR!
I did use the DBR, but it wasn't what I expected....the bass didn't sound right to me.
I also tried a 17l BR....no bass below 60hz but above that better than any other enclosures.

They certainly shouldn't have a hole there. None of mine ever did. Either you went wrong somewhere with the build (not likely) or your room messed them up (much more probable).

DBR -I'm not convinced about them myself. The more chambers there are, the more complex things get, the more chance there is for it all to go pear-shaped. More trouble than they're worth IMO. That's why I like the BIB and the Calhoun range of boxes we're doing at the moment like Chang & the single vent version. Nice & simple, but effective. And in the case of Chang, based on the Fostex 45 litre BR box, ironically enough, albeit re-tuned and with a rather different vent arrangement.

Thanks all for your comment.

I just got a FE166e in Fostex's BLH since last evening as a trial. After listening ~ 8hrs, I am surprise that the high (> 10KHz) doesn't sound bad as it looks in the spec so I likely not bother to have a tweeter.

However, I feel the low freq is a bit "slow" compared with the mid. (doesn't occur with other speaker in the same system). Is the "slow bass" common for the BLH canbinet type?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.