Lowther satellite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're the one making claims Horst, not me.

Look at the FR plot in the link you posted yourself. The driver's response rises from around 1.5Khz to 14KHz, 5 - 10db over the nominal sensitivity. Exactly how do you intend to compensate for that with a rear-loaded cabinet, horn or otherwise? It can't be done, without some form of Eq.

Too strong a magnet & light a cone for Eq? Who told you that nonsense? Witness the large numbers of people such as Martin King, Bob Brines etc who use filters on their own drivers (passive and active) to excellent results. I've done it myself with the PM6cs I used to work with (yes, I have worked with them, thanks for asking). I might add that Lowther magnets are not actually as powerful as they're often made out to be. Driver Q is usually in the 0.2 - 0.35 range.

Horst, I respect your views, but I get a little tired of your attititude toward other people sometimes (and I'm not alone in that): you repeatedly say things like 'that won't work, here look at what I do.' This is what bugs me: you never say 'this is my opinion.' You simply state it as if it were fact, and then proceed to say nothing else works, and that anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't know what they are doing. There are other people with other approaches, and all are as valid as yours. Your cabinets are an excellent solution. So are a lot of other people's, even if they happen to be different to your own. I like your small satellite boxes -I've said so in the past. But they have their own issues too, just like anything else, and they can't correct for the rising response of a Lowther over 1KHz any more than any other back-loaded cabinet can. On that basis, it depends what you want to do, if Eq of some kind is used, and where you wish to XO to LF support.

scottmoose,
sorry everyone can do what he wants,
I show only my experience with measurements,

and if your approache works so wonderful,
not proofed by measurements, why
mr Kirchhoff Lowther germany, I know him until 1982
never get a good solution you offer as a better way.

please compair my Lowther measurements with:
http://www.aer-original.com/html/hobby_hifi_01_jan_2002.html

everytime everything is my personel opinion,
made over 30 years and proof by measurements
and endless listening sessions.

Show us measurements and working filters.

I've never made any claim that 'my approach' (whatever that is -I haven't actually got one) is 'so wonderful'. Please let me know where I have said that. I have said that something that I design, or Dave designs, or anyone else for that matter designs, is as valid as your designs. They might be different. They often are. That doesn't make them bad. It just means we have a different take on the matter or different criteria.

What I've been trying to point out numerous times to you is that other people are allowed to have their views / design something without you writing them off and saying 'that doesn't work' (and then instantly suggesting they go to your website -funny coincidence, that) simply because they don't happen to fit your personal taste / approach / criteria. If you have an opinion, say that it's an opinion, rather than implying that what you say is right, and everything else is wrong. You have lots of experience? Great. So do other people.

You can afford to send your speakers off for lots of accurate measurements? Lucky you. Isn't it nice to be in such a priviliged financial position? Personally, I'm not, as you are well aware. There are many other people in similar difficulties; last I checked, that doesn't mean they can't design a speaker or that their views are invalid. So, next time you give me, or anyone else in a postition less fortunate than the one you clearly enjoy an order (try asking rather than demanding, or ordering people in future: the word 'please' is quite popular) keep that in mind.

In the meantime, have you bothered reading Martin King's, Bob Brines's, or Nelson Pass's sites regarding filters etc?
www.quarter-wave.com
www.[url]http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/[/url]
www.passdiy.com

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And of course there's always more than one way to skin a cat:

:cool:

Attachments

• pm2a comp.gif
    pm2a comp.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 256
hm wrote :

The people who try a filter told me it would not work,
to strong magnet and light weight membran.

Do you have any measurement and documented
experience with this drivers.

Yes. Look here

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/Correction_Filter.html

and here

http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Variable.pdf

A filter works very well with Lowthers. Nothing is lost, only the SPL response is rebalanced to cure the natural harsh rising SPL response of a low Qts full range driver. Many people have also adopted this design stratagy with Fostex drivers in ML TL enclosures. Take a look at my gallery

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Gallery/Gallery.html

for many fine examples of great sounding speakers that use low Qts full range drivers and passive correction filters. Perhaps you were misinformed or the people you spoke with did not use correct component values in the filters or dismissed the idea without actually trying it.

Hope that helps,

Thanks Martin,

good looking graphs, and an easy enclosure, much cheaper
than horns.

Do you offer it to Lowther? Or getting a link like mr. Mau?

How stupit must be the worldwide Lowther community
to build horns if it works like that.

May be a professionell listening test might help.

Or measurements:
do you compair,
membran movement
K2, K3
at 1 W and 2W peak,
between yours and a horn.

Nice website with a lot of information.

If I see your filter, 2 µF and 3 mH, that works between
450 Hz to 10000 Hz,
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/Parts_List_DX3.pdf
sorry for me, (please, scottmoose attention that is my personel
opinion, please), it is like drove a Ferrari with pulled park brake.

sorry for me, (please, scottmoose attention that is my personel opinion, please), it is like drove a Ferrari with pulled park brake.

I look at it a bit differently, I consider not using a filter where it will improve the balance of the speaker system to be like driving a Ferrari with a missing tire.

Clearly your mind is closed, not much point to continuing the discussion. Makes no difference to me, I believe I have answered your original questions.

This turns out to be a nice debate!

Unfortunately I still have no enclosures to test things. But I will!

The filter approach looks very promising. Who knows I will also try the small horn approach but I like to keep things simple.

Also Open Baffle might be an option. But I am worried about excursion limits.

The excursion on an OB rather depends on the woofers and where you cross over. If you XO high enough, then cone movement on the Lowther will be fairly minimal, as cones have to work hardest in the LF. Take that away & hand it to dedicated drivers, and the excursion will be relatively low. I've just got back from a local audio day with my mate Steve, a horn fanatic who's a recent convert to the joys of the dipole. He's running his EX4 (good choice for OB) with a pair of vintage Goodmans Axiom 12in drivers in support. Some tweaking still needed, particularly in XO terms as he's still developing them, but as is the Lowther was just coasting along, even when we cranked up The Prodigy with those huge synth bass lines. Never got near 1mm excursion. Not entirely surprising: the whole system is about 105db efficient for 1w / 1m. 1w of SET power filled the hall effortlessly.

The filter idea is useful. Another string to the bow really. Personally, I'm entirely with Martin in this heretical approach (no surprise there, right?;) ). If it's possible not to use them and still obtain a balanced response across the frequency range, that's great. But if for whatever reason you can't get that balance from the enclosure and / or it's partnering drivers, then given the option, I would always go for the filter and get the response in line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.