New MJK Baffle Article - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2007, 12:42 AM   #121
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

BHD,

Sounds like everything is working out well ............ huge relief for me. When I wrote the article I intended it to be just a study and design guide. I never suspected that anybody would build the design so quickly. The fact that it seems to be performing will with budget drivers is really great news. You must be really pushing the speakers hard to get the Fostex to shout. Try some acoustic jazz. Some piano trio, some horns, something non-electric to see how they perform.

Your story about the fire department coming cracked me right up. It reminded me of the night many years ago when some buddies and I were tossing back a few and listening to some music at my dive apartment. When I came out of the bathroom I found the East Hartford police standing in the middle of the room checking things out. The older cop was disgusted and gave me a hard time. The younger cop was enjoying the music and was heard to say "Great system!". They did not run us in, asked us to turn it down, and pretty much ended the night ...... until we went out. But that was a long long time ago.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:45 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fishball79
Hi all,

I have a pair of Coral Flat 10s and would like to try it in such a design. The flat 10s are ~95db but MJK's design puts it at ~89db.

How feasble is it to use 2 Eminence 15A per side?

I'm thinking that by keeping the baffle dimensions, FR driver placement and xo points the same, I only need to modify the low pass crossover for a 4ohm load for the woofers with everything else kept the same.

The net effect is a +6db at 95db with lower distortion in the nether regions of sound. Would appreciate any comments on this plan, thanks!
Old 8th October 2007, 01:30 AM   #123
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

IMHO, I believe you could trade some of that sensitivity for bass extension. This would require a redesign but you may get preliminary results using a lower crossover point for the woofers.
Old 8th October 2007, 01:36 AM   #124
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Quote:
Sounds like everything is working out well ............ huge relief for me.
Hey, have some faith, we did!

The funny thing is that while you were replying to my last post, we were listening to Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" and it sounded GREAT.

The treble is opening right up. The upper midrange is still a little bit forward, but these are Fostex drivers, they have a reputation of taking a long time to break in.

When the firemen came downstairs into the basement, they freaked out - they smelled the burning wood from my circular saw. They started pounding on doors and we came out and told them what we were doing and they were like "hey, look at this, they're building speakers!" and were totally cool with it. They had on the full regalia with oxygen tanks and everything, but all they said was that we might want to try cutting the wood outside next time. Cool guys, they were.

Well, now we're going to turn the wick up a bit with some Primus...

Wish us luck.

Oh, and thanks, Martin. You're the greatest.

Old 8th October 2007, 09:20 PM   #125
PSz. is offline PSz.  United States
diyAudio Member

I am truly impressed by these speakers. Elegant design. Simple construction. The sound is amazing so far, but be prepared to play with placement in room. I will try to get more seat time with them soon, but pre-term labor is keeping me by the wife's bed in hospital.

Thanks Martin!

best regards,
PSz.
Old 8th October 2007, 10:22 PM   #126
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sounds like everything is working out well ............ huge relief for me. When I wrote the article I intended it to be just a study and design guide. I never suspected that anybody would build the design so quickly. The fact that it seems to be performing will with budget drivers is really great news. You must be really pushing the speakers hard to get the Fostex to shout
I could not see a reason it would not work Martin. I am a believer in Lpads (ok let the purist start their thing). If you incorporate an Lpad on the mid/upper driver it can give a great deal of versitility in the applications. The 103 is a really good driver(once broken in) and i even used it in my first horn design, great presence and soundstage and could do a true piano sound. Only drawback is SPL levels without loading. IMHO the 127 with an Lpad would work better.

ron

But that was a long long time ago.

Happens to me about once /month. Nothing like horns to bring the cops out of the Dunkin Donuts.
Old 8th October 2007, 10:47 PM   #127
PSz. is offline PSz.  United States
diyAudio Member

Those alpha 15's are doing most of the grunt work that would otherwise upset the fe103's. It would take quite a bit to get them out of shape in this design. And, FWIW nobody that has heard them so far said anything about ringing low frequencies. They are not audiophiles though (yet). The biggest "complaint" was how strange it was to hear the room disappear. Music coming from behind the rear wall, etc.

I will strongly recommend breaking in the fe103s before hooking them up to the crossover. IMHO it would take a LONG time to break them in due to the low excursion required of them in this case.

best regards,
PSz.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:06 PM   #128
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The Hemp Acoustics FR4.5C looks like a good alternative for experimenters. Its plot suggests that a minor treble eating in the crossover can bring it in line for this design. I have listened to it and it is noticeably more relaxed and esoteric than the 103 IMHO.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:39 PM   #129
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by salas
Hemp Acoustics FR4.5C
Hopefully they will show up again....

dave
Old 9th October 2007, 12:18 AM   #130
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

PSz.,

Quote:
I will strongly recommend breaking in the fe103s before hooking them up to the crossover. IMHO it would take a LONG time to break them in due to the low excursion required of them in this case.
That is a great idea and should really speed along the break-in process.

Quote:
I am truly impressed by these speakers. Elegant design. Simple construction. The sound is amazing so far, but be prepared to play with placement in room.
Sounds like you have had some success with the design, thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
I will try to get more seat time with them soon, but pre-term labor is keeping me by the wife's bed in hospital.
Something tells me that your free time is about to take a serious hit, but it is well worth it. I have three and there was a period when I had no time or energy for speaker building, then a few years later they would sit and listen with me, and now they request I remove myself from their site and go listen to my stereo. Got lotsa free time now, they would not be caught dead listening to my music.

Hide this!Advertise here!