New MJK Baffle Article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
britbug said:
I wonder if it would be possible to use a JX92S instead of the fostex, and so crossover at lower frequencies?

The study shows that each combination of mid/tweeter and bass driver needs to be considered together with the baffle as a system, and that changing any drivers requires a reconsideration of all the parameters of the system.

I do expect you would have an easier job of substituting a similar efficiency mid/tweeter. Adapting the sytsem for active XO would give even more flexibility with the mid-tweeter but at nominally higher cost (but when one considers that many diyers have more than a single amp kicking around, it may actually take less cash flow)

dave

Sensitivity of the Jordan is a bit lower at 88db, and the parameters are different, so as Dave says, you'd have to design something for it from the ground up. There's no reason why that's not possible though. I suspect the Jordan would work rather well run on a baffle, with a suitable woofer in support.

Yet another superb paper on design; one of the best available. Actually, I'd call it the best, period, given that Linkwitz's commentaries, superb though they are, have a somewhat different purpose. Thank you, Martin.

Thanks for the positive feedback everybody. I appreciate it. If people walk away with just two concepts, I hope they are as follows.

1) After reading the article the relative efficiency requirement for the woofer with respect to the rest of the system should be clear. In a passive system this means that the woofer probably needs to be at least 6 to 10 dB more efficient, while in an active system this means that additional boost may be be applied to the woofer to help produce this increased efficiency.

2) Another important point is that a Qts value of 1.0 to 1.2 is an advantage for an OB, in particular with respect to baffle size, and does not automatically mean that the response will boom. I have proven this to myself both analytically and with experience gained from the Lowther OB system using two 15" woofers with significantly different Qts values.

Remember, an open baffle speaker is a system and the alignment of the bass is driven by the woofer's Qts, the baffle size and shape, and the low pass crossover. It is really not that difficult to design and get right if you pay attention to the details.

Now we hope for the next article, with Nelson Pass fingerprints on it. You may have guessed: An active two way crossover, designed by Nelson Pass. Then, both of the shortcomings that Martin mentions , could be overcome...

I'll tell ya that I have a pair of Eminence Beta 15's and a pair of Visaton B200's. According to Martins article, they won't match very good in a passive configuration due to the high efficiency of the B200 compared to Beta 15. So, I guess I'll need to go active and equalize the Beta...

Greedy boy... :devilr:

Vix:

How about putting an L-Pad on the full range speaker, wouldn't that help to tailor the efficiency?

Sure would. I guess it comes down to how much efficiency are you willing to give away? Maybe I could keep my Lowther's sound but reduce the efficiency to 90 dB/W/m with the correct amount of padding and end up with a smaller baffle. An interesting idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.