best enclosure for fostex 208 sigma? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2007, 08:21 AM   #1
dondiba is offline dondiba  France
diyAudio Member

Default best enclosure for fostex 208 sigma?

hello,
i have purchased a pair of fe 208 es and i
seek advices for the enclosure

(i am not skilled in woodworking but patient ...;-)

while reading this forum i sew three kind of enclusure

1 BLH :

fostex recommended
jericho

2 MLTL as studied by MJK

3 BIB

first question are there other interesting possibility?
then, what is the best enclosure for
a solid state amplifier in
a room 5 m x 6 m ?

regards,
dondiba
Old 18th September 2007, 08:34 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: best enclosure for fostex 208 sigma?

Quote:
Originally posted by dondiba
1 BLH :
add sachiko & maybe Dallas II.

dave
Old 18th September 2007, 10:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In a room of that size, I'd be inclined for Sachiko, DallasII or a BIB (no particular order there).

The (excellent) MLTL Martin designed was for the defunct FE208Sigma, not the current FE208ESigma, which has a much higher Vas and a more powerful motor. It would need heavy correction to work properly with the ESigma, and MLTLs are best in the nearfield.

The Jericho is a fine cabinet, but if you wanted a horn of that type, the DallasII is the more refined design. DallasII is one of the most advanced horns around, and should sound as clean as you can get from a forward firing BLH, though it's not the easiest box in the world to make. Sachiko isn't as refined as Dallas, but is easier to build, & will probably sound more dynamic (double horns tend to)

The BIB will go lower than both, and have an eerie effortlessness to their presentation, though they also have more ripple as it's the simplest of all the cabinets.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I wish i had the time to build back horns so i can compare and find out which i prefer. For now, the BIB is all i have as a reference (besides the older BK161 which wasnt too good IMO). But i am very curious about double horns! Call me a curious horny guy.

Other than sketching all day long at the museum, i must also find a way to make speaker building part of my retirement plans... which is 25 years away.

The 208es is a keeper and should have a proper box to go along with it. Good luck with your search! Whichever you choose will likely be just a different form of excellent.

Peace,
Godzilla

PS. If the speakers will be going into corners i would vote for the simpler to build BIB.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:22 AM   #5
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Some thoughts...

having built the Fostex Rx BLH for the FE166es-r, I can tell you that it aint a quick maneuver. It took a long, loooong time to do right, so I took my time, sanded out every little piece by hand, lovingly assembled it was weeks. Fantastic speaker, and a fantastic amount of time into it.

I just took delivery on a pair of 208's a couple hours ago. Damn impressive, 10 pound slabs of Japanese R&D. Very serious stuff these are. I am going to build the BIB's because they are easy as pie, and the return on the investment is outrageous. The Fostex BLH will require 3 4X8 blanks each unit, and the BIB's require only 2 blanks for both units, so you save FOUR blanks of primo plywood, just choosing the BIB. The BIB's can be ripped up, squared off and glued up in ONE hour, the BLH's you are looking at some regular nightly input on the order of weeks. The cuts, everything has to be perfect.

The BIB loads the vertical mode, where there are no obstructions, 'not alot of furniture on the ceiling,' as TC said. Second, the lower register presentation of a BIB far as I can tell is near about indistinguishable from good open baffle sound. So you get horn dynamics, with open baffle-ish lower end thrown in for free. The line gain below what, 300Hz on this thing should be on the order of ~10db so now you have a wideband horn/pipe with easy +100db SPL which turns flea amps into monsters, sweet sounding thangs with the same crunch as those nasty arc welders so prized on Audio Gone.

Ripple depends on system, room, etc. It hasnt bothered me thus far, and I can hear it. Also, most of these anomalies are easily cured by simply downloading www.itunes.com and starting ripping your CD collection into your hard drive, the improvement in sound using streamed audio with a digital EQ on your lap is beyond whatever else anyone can come up with in terms of correction circuits, and other life-robbing ceramic sandstorms, cupric whirlpools, and metallic miasmae, that you could care to mention, been there, done that.

Now you have an ULTRA simple, otherworldly sounding system of ++100db in the money zone, with Clair Brothers-level JBL multi-way class horn dynamics, all in your home, without the need to attend prog concerts in Madison Square Garden, speaking as someone who also has worked for Clair Brothers, IN Madison Square Garden, in a former lifetime, and built BIB's in this one.

Just the rantings of a frustrated "chippie" who has seen life both ways. Hope this helps abit.

These banana monsters are staring at me as I write, and I want to get going on my 208 BIB's.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:36 AM   #6
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Working on the Austin206/208, when time permits. However it will need either internal or external vertical stringers.
First pass shows to 37 Hz.( i am conservitave) wall/floor loaded.
I have included thermal loss in the Austin programming. Its interesting, i see very little loss in the TL action and a curve of greater loss as the horn action frequency rises. It appears as the frequency increases the shorter wavelength occurs earlier in the path. Longer wavelengths occupy the entire path length and are really just produced at the mouth.This would be the transition from TL to horn.
Its an interesting study.

ron

(old industral saying " there comes the time in the life of any project when you shoot the design engineer and begin production")
Old 19th September 2007, 02:35 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ron,

I have a pair of 206s here just waiting for the right project

dave
Old 19th September 2007, 02:51 AM   #8
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dmason
Some thoughts...

Now you have an ULTRA simple, otherworldly sounding system of ++100db in the money zone, with Clair Brothers-level JBL multi-way class horn dynamics, all in your home, without the need to attend prog concerts in Madison Square Garden, speaking as someone who also has worked for Clair Brothers, IN Madison Square Garden, in a former lifetime, and built BIB's in this one.

These banana monsters are staring at me as I write, and I want to get going on my 208 BIB's.

You have way with words, enjoyed your thoughts, should've become a novelist.

Look forward your build, pictures please. Amazing 100db sensitivity...

gychang
Old 19th September 2007, 03:04 AM   #9
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks, Greg,

the words are passionately written. The BIB's simply deliver the goods. Dr Chang and I agree that 'music is better than mucus'

and this schtick provides valuable detachement from the vagaries of our line of work... I have not found anything better than DIY audio to escape.

My first "real" summer job was working with a Clair Bros. Sound road crew, on the 1978 summer tour of an obscure English progressive rock band known collectively as, "Yes." The dynamic capabilities of the flown, radial array of 4-way JBL horn system with huge sectoral horn midrangers, parked above the rotating stage at center ice, was just over the top, a religio-sonic experience, let there be no dout. 80,000 watts of Crown amplification provided the horsepower. The house lights went out with the symphonic slam of "Let There Be Light," the opening crescendo from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." .Indeed. GM would understand my rant...which I have shared with him, a long time ago.... it is with this nostalgic "direction" that the 208BIB's MUST be realized. And the business end of 'em arrived today.
Old 19th September 2007, 03:56 AM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronc
Its interesting, i see very little loss in the TL action and a curve of greater loss as the horn action frequency rises.
Greets!

Yep, I saw a thermal image of a compression driver and it was very enlightening. There's lots of thermal power compression going on in these things and apparently helps make them correct 'in time'.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!