I'm surprised this works - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2007, 06:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I'm surprised this works

I bought a pair of Fostex FE127E speakers for my new found hobby. Upon receiving them I decided to temporarily stick them into one of my cabinets just to break them in and get a feel for their sound. I pulled the woofer from my Genesis II+ cabinets and modified (if you can call it that) the baffle. I'm floored by how good they sound in these boxes. Detail without extended highs which is good for me since my ears have taken a lot of SPLs as a musician. They (ears) just don't like volume or lots of treble. At this point I've abandoned my desire to build cabinets because these sound so good. They are 1.9 cubic ft with a passive radiator. Can those of you who understand this kind of thing explain why this works?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image00001.jpg (31.9 KB, 697 views)
Old 18th September 2007, 06:27 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm... blind luck?

Are the 127s fresh out of the box? You may find that the box tuning shifts as the drivers break in.

dave
Old 18th September 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Hmmm... blind luck?

Are the 127s fresh out of the box? You may find that the box tuning shifts as the drivers break in.

dave

Yep. Brand spankin' new. In what way might the tuning shift?
Old 18th September 2007, 02:50 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

At 1.9 ft^3, a 127E is working into a 'close enough' infinite baffle, so I imagine its motor isn't strong enough to energize the PR very much, making it a well damped, probably well below Fs tuned TL of sorts. I use to periodically mention using PRs to smooth TLs when excessive damping is required, but been poo-poo'd by some who apparently have never tried it, so maybe now that someone has backed into it with good results will spur others into trying it.

GM
Old 18th September 2007, 03:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

'Never heard of the idea until now Greg, but it makes sense to me. I assume you mean placing the PR at the terminus of the line, right? Certainly an interesting take on it.
Old 18th September 2007, 04:05 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Right.......I'm not much of an original thinker though, it was an Olson idea as a way to shorten a BLH (RCA LC9A with (3) PRs), so using it in a TL or TQWT wasn't much of an intellectual leap.
Old 18th September 2007, 04:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I remember the sound from those Genesis was really good. Heard them at Stereo Warehouse in Roosevelt Field mall many years ago. They had a very full and warm sound. How did the sound change when you put the Fostex in? More detail? More forward?

I would put the Genesis back the way they were and build a more optimized cabinet for the lovely 127e. Not that what you did doesnt sound good.

It's difficult to make the 127e sound bad imo. I always wanted to try a PR because they are cheaper than woofers.
Old 18th September 2007, 05:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
I remember the sound from those Genesis was really good. Heard them at Stereo Warehouse in Roosevelt Field mall many years ago. They had a very full and warm sound. How did the sound change when you put the Fostex in? More detail? More forward?

I would put the Genesis back the way they were and build a more optimized cabinet for the lovely 127e. Not that what you did doesnt sound good.

It's difficult to make the 127e sound bad imo. I always wanted to try a PR because they are cheaper than woofers.

I was starting to grow tired of the Genesis' lack of midrange. To my ears this has been a huge improvement not to mention the increased detail. Someday I'll probably want to build cabinets but not until I'm convinced that I'll hear an improvement.

GM - you are right about the PRs not resonating very much with the FE127Es.
Old 18th September 2007, 06:00 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
placing the PR at the terminus of the line, right? ]

A technique used commercially in some of the the Shahinian Acoustics boxes.

http://shahinianacoustics.com/

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 18th September 2007, 06:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This sounds like an interesting idea. So could one take an MLTL and add a passive radiator in instead of the port? Would the box need to be redesigned with this in mind?

Hide this!Advertise here!