Tokyo Fostex Shops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this but: I will be in Tokyo for a few days in October and wondered if anyone here knew where I could go to purchase a pair of Fostex drivers for a reasonable price?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Piero

A couple of years ago I saw an enormous number of audio kits at the main Tokyu Hands department store. they had 3-4 tube amp kits, about 6-7 cartridges, and several speaker kits and a tubed CD player kit. Wonderful store - had 7 floors each with upper and lower sections and complete kits and just about everything you ever needed to build or fix something.

However, having said that, you're best bet is still Akihabara.

have fun in Tokyo
Bob

Magnets are prohibited from aircraft. It's actually illegal to put them in your baggage. If they get a major electronic fault they need to navigate by compass.

You might get away with shielded drivers like the FExx7E ones but you might not be able to convince the inspector if they search your luggage.

Check with the airline before buying your speakers.

OzMikeH said:
Magnets are prohibited from aircraft. It's actually illegal to put them in your baggage.

That's correct, but when I went to the US last year, I made a couple FE166Es sent to my hotel.
Back in the airport I explained with all the due detail to the Check-in employee that I had a couple loudspeakers in the boxes with me (I didn't want to check them with the luggage just out of fear of their cones being destroyed if searched), that had huge magnets and etc, etc. The lady just looked at me and I could almost read the subtitles under her face ... "so what ?").
I repeated the magnet part and she told me "No problem with loudspeakers".

Next, I repeated the same explanation to the people of the X-Ray machine in the gate. This time they looked at me like if I were plainly dumb.

I didn't dare to repeat the show with the plane personnel... :)

Originally posted by OzMikeH Check with the airline before buying your speakers. [/B]

Yes. That's a sensible advice. I'm not encouraging people to dis-obey regulations, moreover safety ones, but just wanted to put the experience of the guy-next-door on the table.
Perhaps the lack of depth in the standard AATA leaflet helps the general confusion too. Some idea of maximum stray flux could help... :)

My FE108EZs were sent airfreight, and declared as Louspeakers by the dealer I bought them from. No problem other than the high customs tax... Nothing to do with the magnets though...

Gastón

I'd try to buy the speakers locally, and if not through Madisound. Other than getting them back through the airlines, customs, and intact (from airport inspection- I've had a cone mangled), returning the drivers if there is a problem may be a problem. Fostex should be obtainable via mail order even if you have to pay a little extra.

Perhaps, if you could get a pair of Diatones, cheap, it might be worth the effort.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OzMikeH said:
Magnets are prohibited from aircraft. It's actually illegal to put them in your baggage. If they get a major electronic fault they need to navigate by compass.

If you get non-shielded drivers, the simple expedient of taping the boxes together magnet-to-magnet they become mostly shielded.

They have a sign at the post office that says no magnets, but they have no problems accepting speakers.

dave

I'm pretty sure ordinary speakers are fine for air travel, but I will check with Qantas first! And if the price difference is not as great as I'm hoping then it will just be intersting to look round some of these shops anyhow, that's if I can convince my daughter that we should spend a tiny bit less time at the Ghibli Museum ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.