Horny valve virgin comes of age.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2007, 08:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Horny valve virgin comes of age..

Hi all. I am as you can see new here, so go easy!
I recently bought on a whim a pair of small rear horn loaded FE103E's , small being a standmount, I have not seen the like anywhere else. Later that same week, I bought from a freind an Icon Audio MC34 integrated valve amp and my life has changed since then

I have never heard such clarity in recordings before, and though the treble and bass are somewhat curtailed (actually, the treble is great really, it is just the bass that is a little conspicuous by it's absence....) the other night it felt like I had the Be Good Tanyas right there in front of me....you get the picture.

Anyway, the upshot is that now I am itching to try a bigger design to get a bit more fulness to the sound. I have looked a couple, including Fostex's own designs, and some produced by the talented people on this forum.

So, the question is, do I keep the 103's and build a bigger cabinet, if so which is "best", or do I go for some bigger drivers in a bigger cabinet? I have to say though that whatever road I take I do not want to lose that incredible midrange, or the imaging..

Any suggestions greatly recieved!

Thanks, Steve.
Old 16th September 2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Fostex' 103 is a very well built unit, and even more interesting, it can be obtained new for under 75 Euros a pair.

I have experimented with the Nagaoka Horn for the FE103E, this horn is approx 80 cm high so no real pain in WAF

I can try and fix you the drawings. The cabinet is too cheap so since you allready got the drivers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nagaoka1klein.jpg (54.8 KB, 1051 views)
Old 16th September 2007, 09:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here are the horns I bought with the 103's already fitted..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 958d_2.jpg (5.9 KB, 1060 views)
Old 16th September 2007, 09:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Merijn
Fostex' 103 is a very well built unit, and even more interesting, it can be obtained new for under 75 Euros a pair.

I have experimented with the Nagaoka Horn for the FE103E, this horn is approx 80 cm high so no real pain in WAF

I can try and fix you the drawings. The cabinet is too cheap so since you allready got the drivers

Hi Merijn, where have I seen the name before.....? They look great, WAF is not a problem, so really any design would be OK, though personally I could not live with for example the "swan"

I have seen a lovely looking design on a site from one of the members here, it is a dual horn, not sure if it is suitable for the 103 though, this is why I was wondering should I go for some larger drivers, I wouldn't mind so long as I don't lose that lovely midrange.
Old 16th September 2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquapiranha

Hi Merijn, where have I seen the name before.....? They look great, WAF is not a problem, so really any design would be OK, though personally I could not live with for example the "swan"

I have seen a lovely looking design on a site from one of the members here, it is a dual horn, not sure if it is suitable for the 103 though, this is why I was wondering should I go for some larger drivers, I wouldn't mind so long as I don't lose that lovely midrange.

Hmmm, mij name is even here in The Netherlands not to standard
. Have we met? If so, sorry, I just don't remember

The horns I made are the Standard Recomended Fostex Horns for the FE103E

Plans are here:

Fostex FE103E Nogaoka Horn
Old 16th September 2007, 10:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Merijn, we have not met, I thought I saw you username maybe on another forum. I have seen the Fostex recommended enclosure, how do you find it?
Old 16th September 2007, 05:45 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

BK-101? These have been my workshop speakers for 10 years.

From my experiemce i'd recommend not doing the Fostex recommended horn.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103a-bk101.jpg (58.3 KB, 1010 views)
Old 16th September 2007, 05:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
BK-101? These have been my workshop speakers for 10 years.

From my experiemce i'd recommend not doing the Fostex recommended horn.

dave

Hi planet10, they do look a bit similar to the ones I have. I have already had a look at your site, and used the inks to the "spawn" family of encloseures that I like the look of, not least because some of them look relativly easy to build. What would you recommend? Do I stick with the 103's? or go for a bigger driver in one of those lovely spawn cabinets?

Old 16th September 2007, 07:22 PM   #9
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquapiranha

Do I stick with the 103's? or go for a bigger driver in one of those lovely spawn cabinets?

I have built several variations of DIY cabinets using fullrange. I am in the middle of completing Suzy Chang (one of the spawns, custom designed for FE107E) (similar to FE103 but shielded). These cabinets in particular optimize bass without losing the highs and I assume mids.

There is no reason not to build spawns in my humble opinion. I also liked BIBs but spawns are nearly as easy to build and I like the style better.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
gychang
Old 16th September 2007, 07:25 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Using the 103s would mean leaving your BK101 driverless... but i suspect that they would go into Suzy Chang. Might also work in Aiko.

Bigger drivers give more bass (but if you go bigger than FE126/127 you start sacrificing midrange quality.

Questions you have to ask are room size, budget, amplifiers

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!