Widerange Mid/Tweet suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a single driver of some sort to handle around 400Hz and up. If dynamic, then I would want to use it as a dipole though other types may be appealing. I'd like to avoid something that has a 'shouting' characteristic if possible, unless there is a known fix for it.

I would be crossing over actively to 15s.

Personally, I'd go with a JX92S, Fostex FE108ESigma, F120a or FX120.

You're pushing those 15in units a bit high though IMO -FWIW, I wouldn't take them up past 200Hz, maximum. Those big cones don't like going much higher (big co-ax unts excepted). And unless you're very careful, vocal imaging might suffer a bit with things coming rather obviously from two different points. That's just my take on it of course.

Is there an upper bass/ mid driver ( 5 inch ?) that is flat to about 5 Khz with no peakiness after that ? Like the Vifa P13W 5 inch driver . With enough Xmax to be used in an OB . I guess 24db ( linkwitz) crossovers will help in limiting the X max requirement .

How good are the new 5 inch Peerless or other similar drivers ?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I think ALL woofers present a problem above 300hz, even 8in will ... it needs great care in xo design to integrate properly ... in that respect I dont think that even a good 18in studio woofer will be much different ... it just needs great care in xo design, and proper choice of other drivers

I dont know why, but I am not sure if those small light coned low wattage drivers are good with active xo

Although this 8in Fostex is also light coned and low wattaged, it does have higher sensitivity, thus will need much less power and be less strained

http://www.fostexspeaker.ch/fullrange/ffserie/ff225k.pdf

Scottmoose said:
Probably -again, I'd be very wary taking 15in units up that high though.
tinitus said:
I think ALL woofers present a problem above 300hz,

I'm sure I could manage something lower. The Jxr6 is supposed to give an f3 of just over 100Hz in the standard box only I don't know whether to use it full range.

If required I could always set a first order slope a little higher for a 2nd order acoustic...just a thought.

Originally posted by tinitus ... it needs great care in xo design to integrate properly
I've heard tweeters with good transient response against sluggish woofers, I hope this will not be a problem.

If you're referring to frequency/phase I've corrected the driver, compensated the dipole and crossed over all actively. I hope I can leave the phase where it lies as I am already unsettled about the filter complexity. I realise that it could be difficult to use physical displacement to make any corrections down this low.

Originally posted by tinitus I dont know why, but I am not sure if those small light coned low wattage drivers are good with active xo
Did you catch NP suggesting this kind of driver was best with a current source? If I understand this right, I'm obviating this by using a sub anyway.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ups, I misunderstood...I thought you were looking fore mid AND tweeter to match your 15" woofer, and also didnt see you will be making a dipole - slightly diffferent matter then

Althoug the little Jordan Jxr6 does seem to go low, I wouldnt take it too low ... cant be much midbass power in that little thing ... besides you would want some BSC from the 15" woofer

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0107/diy_loudspeaker_project.htm

Peerless drivers.

Has anyone heard any of the following drivers ? Any opinions on the sound ?

Peerless drivers :

HDS nomex 5 1/4 inch model no 832873
HDS nomex 6.5 inch model no 830875

PPB 5 1/4 inch .......... model no 830 860

SDS 5 1/4 inch ........... model no 830656
SDS 5 1/4 inch ........... model no 830887

Thanks.

tinitus said:
didnt see you will be making a dipole - slightly diffferent matter then
As the Jxr6 has no spider, I'd be afraid to run it without closed box loading and I best like the benefits of dipole below a few hundred Hertz, anyway. My Eminences are already dipole.

So I guess I should aim for a crossover point just above 200Hz which should give enough dipole effect from the woofer.

I guess this also gives enough room to use first order on the Jordan, and if I'm not being too demanding it would seem a waste of a smooth response to use anything higher.

First order on the 15s will definately let through more mids that I already get. Maybe I should expect to have to roll off harder after the first octave.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Most big PA woofer has a very early rise in FR and the high efficiency is always above 100hz ... you linearize the woofer with better coherence between lows and highs with a big inductor of 8-12mH ... you will eat the rise and a smaller paralel C will bring it further down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.