Why angular frequencies in Leach's calculations ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading Dr. Leach's paper and have difficulty with the concept of angular cutoff frequency.

Why do we have to use the angular cutoff frequency and what will be the effect in the final design ?
In most of the other formulas, I have been using the cutoff frequencies, Fl, Fh, Fc.

If I undestand properly, Leach suggest we have to use 2πFl, 2πFh, 2πFc to calculate the horn parameters.
Does this apply only to folded horns ? Are there times where we should use less then 360 degrees ?

It's also worth pointing out that Leach's math works on a few assumptions, one of which is maximum efficiency (or as close as you can reasonably get) is the principle goal / desire. No folds are assumed in his equations, which are really aimed at 'proper' horns (i.e. front loaded) though they're frighteningly effective for BLHs as well.

It still does not explain why we use the angular frequency.
There is rotation in this equation and I do not understand where the movement of the membrane is tranfered in a rotational movement, unless this movement refers to the omnidirectional movement of a sound wave.

Maybe I should read more about acoustics to better understand these priciples. Any good web references to help me understand ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.