BK-16 and Audio Nirvana Super 6.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I couldn't wait to finish the other cabinent so I put in my Audio Nirvana Super 6.5 into the one BK-16 cabinent that I bought from madisound. Wow. Fantastic!

I originally had the ans6.5's in weeny monitor size cabs. No bass at all. The BK-16's have a nice balanced sound. Now I need to finish the other cab, stain, and varnish. I'll report back with tests on my other amps once I get the other one finished.

Initial thoughts. The ans6.5 need more high end with Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism SACD. A super tweeter would be a good idea. Otherwise they sound excellent as-is with Miles Smiles and the Bongos Bongos Bongos LP.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finished finally!

Attachments

• img_1655_2.jpg
    img_1655_2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 531
My listening setup in the picture above:

Marantz 8b
Glassware stepped attenuator (on top of the Marantz)
Lite Audio LS7b preamp
Rega P3 w/ DIY opamp phono preamp
Forty buck Sony SACD player

Impressions:

The bass won't blow you away, but it is sufficient. They really showcase the Marantz's mid's. I'm sure they're far from perfect, but I haven't ever heard better!

My next act will be to find a way to protect the drivers from little fingers, crayons, and bananas. Metal grills would be most effective for cost and ruggedness, but will probably effect the sound in a bad way. Cloth grills would be nice, but would likely have a 3hr lifespan around toddlers. For now I have to truck them back and forth from a safe place. I may try placing them upside down on top of the entertainment console.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.