Cab Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a pair of Jericho horns for almost nothing from a fellow locally. They were constructed from mdf (I understand isn't the favorite horn material). I loaded them with a Fostex 206E for testing. Sound not bad at all. A little thin on the midrange, bass is natural and pleasant but a little shy.

Problem is the cabs....they are ugly rough finished. I was going to fill screw holes and paint but then considered covering them with a 1/4 hardwood. Would this affect the cab resonances at all? Also inside the speaker chamber is small pillows stuffed with a filling. Would there be any benefit to removing it? Is there another finishing idea aside from painting?

Lots of questions but I've never payed around with full range 8" drivers. I was surprised at how much bass I got from them. I've loaded them in corners to help a little.

Lucky man. The Jericho is a pretty good horn IMO.

Add a couple of phase plugs to your 206s: www.planet10-hifi.com They work wonders with the mids & HF of the Fostex drivers, cleaning it up & smoothing the response out nicely. Improves detail too, as they erradicatel some of the spurious resonances of the stock driver.

You could cover the externals with 1/4in hardwood. Shouldn't have much of an effect on the cabinet resonances. How about veneering them though? Somewhat cheaper & easier I would have thought.

It's best to play around with the material in the filter chamber to tailor the sound to taste. As it's entirely subjective, & depends on what you like, and on your room, this is best done by ear. Start with none, and progressively add some until you hit on what suits you best.

Scottmoose said:
Lucky man. The Jericho is a pretty good horn IMO.

Add a couple of phase plugs to your 206s: www.planet10-hifi.com They work wonders with the mids & HF of the Fostex drivers, cleaning it up & smoothing the response out nicely. Improves detail too, as they erradicatel some of the spurious resonances of the stock driver.

You could cover the externals with 1/4in hardwood. Shouldn't have much of an effect on the cabinet resonances. How about veneering them though? Somewhat cheaper & easier I would have thought.

It's best to play around with the material in the filter chamber to tailor the sound to taste. As it's entirely subjective, & depends on what you like, and on your room, this is best done by ear. Start with none, and progressively add some until you hit on what suits you best.

Thanks. I won them on E-Pay for a small sum, as they were to large/heavy to ship. Lucky me. I thought it would be a decent way to get into a horn speaker on a budget and to experiment a little. I'm sure I'm going to try the phase plug tweak and experiment with the stuffing as well.

Last question...I'm using the drivers stock with no correction/notch filter. They sound fine to me and fairly balanced except for higher frequencies at louder volumes tend to sound unstable. As well I've heard about lining the driver frame and magnet assembly with a foam to dampen as well. Any thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.