Another bargain = another question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Visiting good old Europe I went to a second hand shop and found this:

speaker_front.jpg

It is a speaker cabinet, apparently very old, worm holes all around. 5 euros including the speaker and the transformer inside.

speaker_back.jpg

The 8" speaker is wrapped in cloth and have a transformer attached to the frame. I was afraid it's a field-coil but there seem to be a magnet. The inpedance (5 ohms) is stamped on the magnet.

speaker_inside.jpg

At first I was puzzled as it appears to be a speaker with a long cord, so why the transformer? The transformer is unsoldered and I wonder what it was before it was converted into a speaker. There are no signs of previously mounted chassis inside.

speaker_ot.jpg

The transformer is definitely a SE output. It's primary is unsoldered from the terminal strip and is hanging in the air. the strip is used for the cord and speaker connection.
The transformer's secondary is coming out right in the middle of the bobbin through the paper (is that paper? maybe pergament?). One terminal is soldered to the frame and the other is not connected - that's that solder spot on the black bobbin.

I was trying to measure the impedance and here's what I've calculated:

resistance: Primary 596ohm, secondary 1.4ohm
impedance: I fed the primary with 24.6V AC and got only 0.4V AC on the secondary. Considering it's a 5 ohm speaker the primary impedance should be 19.000 ohm - a bit too much!!!

So I wonder what this thing was originally and if I may use this OT somehow.
The plan for today is to convert it into "antique" combo amplifier with some funny-looking ST tubes. Or maybe a champ 5W with metal 6V6 and 6SJ7.

The 19K is something annoying. Do I have a mistake somewhere in the calculations? Is there any tube working with 19K load???

5 ohms eh!? Is that half metric? :D

I HAVE TO ASK THIS. Is this a Bag End loudspeaker???? :D

OK so much for my comedy routine. I have seen that particular driver show up on ebay for big bucks. Presumably it is a pretty good near FR driver. Big alnico magnet.

Toss that toy xfmer into the parts box and put that baby in a nice cabinet driven from a nice SE tube amp.

Re: cab

engels said:

?????
I cannot imagine any cabinet nicer than the original. :)

Well yes it is darned pretty alright but sonically it`s 1930`s engineering will be easy to improve hugely upon with any number of modern cabinet designs now designed specifically for single FR drivers. Search this place and they are all here. Check specifically the Full Range Forum.

PA systems usually were 75 volt and had a step down transformer at each speaker, though 19k:5 doesn't seem right. Maybe the transformer is pooty?

I agree that the cab is beautiful even if it isn't the ultimate in sound quality. But who knows, it might be surprisingly satisfying for listening to radio in the shop. NPR might never sound better. :)

-- Dave

origin

Not 100pct sure yet but

a) 5 ohm speakers ar estill amongst us, Adelaide has ready them available, amongst others

b) speaker looks like it's from a russian ship, i remember seeing one very very similar on board of an old Latvian ship (ENGURE) in the captain's cabin ... but have no clue where it originated from.

maybe a try to rubb some graphite on the letters could reveal a bit more.
Greetings

Jean- Pierre

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Remember a country named East Germany? Gothic lettering very probable. Had radio companies. Iron curtain frontier. Full of Russian troops. Not much imagination needed for a possible scenario of being made there after copying a Philips and making it into a Russian ship.

Are you shure it is a permanent-magnetic speaker? Pre-war radio sets often did use electro-magnetic speakers, which generated the magnetic field with a second coil on the speaker - and this coil acting as the plate supply choke at the same time. The membrane coil usually had 5 Ohms at that time. Just look if the speaker has 4 separate connections - how many wires are in the cable?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ulibub said:
Are you shure it is a permanent-magnetic speaker? Pre-war radio sets often did use electro-magnetic speakers, which generated the magnetic field with a second coil on the speaker - and this coil acting as the plate supply choke at the same time. The membrane coil usually had 5 Ohms at that time. Just look if the speaker has 4 separate connections - how many wires are in the cable?

But the coil was where the magnet is. This is not a field-coil. A picture of a field-coil attached.

dave

Attachments

• field_coil-eg.jpg
    field_coil-eg.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 555
no

It's not a field coil, it's a magnet - and pretty strong.
The speaker has two terminals and they're soldered to the wire - nothing abnormal.
I'm almost sure it's not Telefunk - they usually had very clean designs, and the logo doesn't looks like telefunken at all. I'm also not certain about DDR: gotic letters were used by Hitler so after-war logotypes avoided that. It may be a pre-WW2 German thing. Did they have premanent magnets before 1945? Because I've seen too many field-coils from 40's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.