Does anyone know what these are, please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
If they aren't Atomix (highly likely, most common source -- old Sansuis) then they are a Coral OEM.

Look like 10" and in excellent shape. If the alnico hasn't been abused over the last 40 years these should be quite nice (i have 1 very similar)

dave

Got a response from the seller (yes, they are on the 'bay) - "I think they were called Sonoco's and were either a copy of or model of Coral. They had the leafy metal front grill."
And they are 10". So I'm still in the dark - but I'll grab them if no-one else is interested.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cloth Ears said:
don't forget to post that woofer when you get home, :)

Except for the cone colour, pretty close to "yours"

dave

Attachments

• atomix-w100.jpg
    atomix-w100.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,092
planet10 said:
Except for the cone colour, pretty close to "yours"

dave

Definitely the same stamping to make the basket. And the connections are similar as well as the surround and the cone shape. Doesn't have the Sansui badging, though. Possibly made by the same people for another application/speaker. Maybe I'll save my dough (I thought they'd match my Fe103As - the holey Sony ones) and look at the Phillips fullrangers that the same seller has got at the moment.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cloth Ears said:

Definitely the same stamping to make the basket. And the connections are similar as well as the surround and the cone shape. Doesn't have the Sansui badging, though. Possibly made by the same people for another application/speaker. Maybe I'll save my dough (I thought they'd match my Fe103As - the holey Sony ones) and look at the Phillips fullrangers that the same seller has got at the moment.

You often see the "same" drivers with different colour cones.

dave

Called in sick today, and while surfing the 'Bay I found an interesting item. Toshiba SS-30's, which look like they've got 3 Coral drivers per box and a pretty swish crossover set-up as well.

Does anyone know of any sites around that have anything on Toshiba speakers (I searched for about an hour and couldn't find anything)?

planet10 said:
Quit teasing us, where is the link to the pictures?

Yes, some Toshibas have Corals. The Japanese Industrial complex is quite insecestuous...

dave

Sorry, the head and the keyboard are not always together today. The link to the auction is here. And these are of each speaker and the crossover section on the back of one of them:
39a8_1.JPG
3d62_1.JPG
3f09_1.JPG

Interesting stuff on some of the shelves behind also - but he's a bit far away from me to consider actually bidding on the stuff so I'm just looking.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Likely a 3.5 way (one woofer rolls off mechanically)... the tweeter is one of those VIFA nipple jobs (not going to be as good as the original)... The XO back plate is just like one i have downstairs, )either Sansui or Hitachi i'g guess but i'd have to go down to look)

The one driver with sort of unique features (top woofer (the midbase) looks like a National.

Be nice to see a bigger pic -- the one woofer has some anomalies that could be some surround problems.

No pics of the insides?

$300 AUS is pushing the price especially with the out-of-place tweeter.

dave

planet10 said:
Likely a 3.5 way (one woofer rolls off mechanically)... the tweeter is one of those VIFA nipple jobs (not going to be as good as the original)... The XO back plate is just like one i have downstairs, )either Sansui or Hitachi i'g guess but i'd have to go down to look)

The one driver with sort of unique features (top woofer (the midbase) looks like a National.

Be nice to see a bigger pic -- the one woofer has some anomalies that could be some surround problems.

No pics of the insides?

$300 AUS is pushing the price especially with the out-of-place tweeter.

dave

I've asked about the pictures (inside and close-ups)...we'll see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.