Gaps in my horn - a major problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just applied the side panel to my backloaded horn. I used polyurethane glue as I knew this would expand and help to seal up any gaps. However, I don't think I used enough glue because their still appears to be some small gaps where the glue didn't seep out. I can seal up some of these gaps but not all because they would be impossible to access.

I'm sure the glue would be present in the middle of the joints i.e. the sound won't actually escape through any gaps, but would the gaps present a problem? They are very small, probably less than 1/2 of a mm.

You might try turning lights off in the room and put a drop light inside the mouth with a cover over it and also in towards the throat with a cover over it to see if any light is coming out. That would at least show external leaks. As for concern about internal folds, I had a problem with the first horn I built being a Fostex FE208 Sigma enclosure I built and was able to get most of the joints sealed by working down the throat and up the mouth. If you have an internal fold, sealing one side of the board would essentially seal the other side. Also the seam in the back since it will be up against the wall (Front firing horn?) will be out of sight. My guess is that air leaks would be more serious the closer you get to the throat because of the pressures generated but I may be wrong.

What kind of horn?

A horn is a pressure container. It holds pressure along the trip between the FC to the mouth.

Any pressure leak during the trip alters the effective performance in two ways. The first is a loss in the effective energy during the expansion and the second is the gain in untimed pressure at a later given point along the expansion. This can cause alteration of the pressure at a later point by lowering/raising/cancellation of the later timed wave.

ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.