Horn like baffle for FE103e

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check out the speaker on this ebay auction # 300146584618 .

Does it help or hinder with the baffle like that? Could something like that work with a slightly deeper baffle and a FE167e. I like the way it looks but I don't see any like that here on the forum.

Hi MPM,

I have been modelling this type of baffle in Hornresponse, with a view to time aligning with a piezo tweeter. This short horn will give more output in the midrange and perhaps more importantly give some directivity in this region also. Depends on your taste, but I would think that some kind of baffle (or horn) step filter would be required to bring the midrange down to the level of the bass frequencies. I have been using Blu Tack to prototype the short horn. I also like the way it looks. I'm thinking maybe a triple thickness carved baffle with a rear mounted driver.

Regards Philip

Thanks for the quick reply footstony. I would most likely try to find a way to incorporate a sub so the aditional output in the midrange would not be a problem. I'm picturing the ones I build on my computer desk. The desk is big enough so the speakers would be 30" from my ears.

Thanks dude

Hi MPM,
sounds like a very good idea, and could work rather nicely.
in my very limited experiments the short horn or rather more correctly waveguide made the mids sound clearer, possibly due to the change in directivity and reduced interaction with the baffle.

See here for Danley sound labs design with deeper waveguide
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/synergy_horn.asp?model=SH 100

Regards Philip

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MPM said:
Check out the speaker on this ebay auction # 300146584618 .

Does it help or hinder with the baffle like that? Could something like that work with a slightly deeper baffle and a FE167e. I like the way it looks but I don't see any like that here on the forum.

We've used this kind of technique quite a few times, for both FE103As & tweeters. If you can get a good fit with the front of the 167 it should work fine.

dave

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

Any suggestions on how deep to make the baffle? I'll be using 3/4" baltic birch plywood for the construction. figuring 3 layers sandwiched will get about 2 1/4" deep.

Another question comes to mind though. Will a phase plug be beneficial? If so, will a normal phase plug be my best option?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.