Unknown 10 inch full range - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2007, 01:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Unknown 10 inch full range

Hello everybody,

I bought some speakers from a garage sale that were home made. They have a 10 inch fullrange in them with a tweeter cut in. I don't have a digital camera to take pictures with but I will try my best to give all the information I can in hopes that somebody might have an idea of what they are.

On the back of the magnet, there is no labels. In the right light I can see something that says 1065/M8. Thats it. I will pull the other speaker apart and check it out to see if it says any thing on it. It is a 10 inch speaker with a paper cone and an accordian surrond. There is a paper wizzer cone in the middle. The speaker box its self seems to have been made in the late 70's, probably 80's. That is just based on how it looks. It has that same style.

Anyways, I hope this is enough info, if not, I tried.
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have just found out they are Philips AD 1065/M8. Does anybody know anything about them? They arn't in the best condition actually. The one cone has a little tear in it and the other has a big long tear in it with a big rip in the surround. They actually sound not to bad even with the rips in them.

Heres a link to them at ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Philips-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Some Elmers glue can work wonders on the rips. I brought back a 12 inch Rola that had such a bad rip it didn't look like i could save it at first. I used Elmers glue and some patients and its cone integrity is now quite sound ( pardon the pun).
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying. How do you use the Elmers glue to repair the cone?

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:34 AM   #5
jerishi is offline jerishi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default speaker repair

I believe you take some elmers glue and water it down just a bit- use a small paintbrush - the torn area needs the glue on both sides, without saturating. Some people use (various kinds) of paper to help with repair. I used to do this on guitar amp speakers....which take (much) abuse. Depending on technique, am pretty sure it'll be (as good as) new!
Old 2nd September 2007, 04:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Empee is offline Empee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default What did you do with these drivers ?

Hi !

I also got a pair of Philips 1065's

What did you do with these drivers,
what's your opinion on their sound quality?

Cheers,

Empee
Old 9th November 2007, 04:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Empee,

I bought a set of speaker boxes at a garage sale with these in it. They were a bass reflex box with a tweeter cut in above for some support. It sounded not to bad. I had them sitting out in the room and it sounded like they needed some baffle step correction so I didn't get the complete idea of how they sound. They didn't produce as much bass as I thought they would, but maybe that was because it sounded tilted to the higher frequencies. I tried to measure it with some electronics gear I have, and it seemed to be a driver with a high Q and the Fs was around 50Hz I believe, so maybe this didn't help it out much. It might sound good on an open baffle, like the JE labs one, but would probably need a tweeter.

I never fixed the rips because the one goes into the surround and spiders out. But they sounded all right with the rips.

Hide this!Advertise here!